Not growing

Status
Not open for further replies.

JasonMcK

5 Year Member
Hey Everyone,
I have a 8 month old Leo. Well I got him 8 months ago but from what I can tell he was only weeks old when I got him.
There is small growth signs on his shell be there has been no increase in weight. 46g.
I feed twice a day, mixed greens (spring mix) with cactus pad blended together. 2 or 3 times a week mid day I give some Mazuri as a third meal
and when I can find it I'll add some cactus pear to his spring mix.
I also pick clover from the yard and add it to his diet.
I soak him twice a day before meals

any thoughts

Thanks
Jason

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Foothills above Sacramento CA
does he ever get outside to see the real sun?
if he is healthy in other ways.. then he will prob have a growth spurt..

JasonMcK

5 Year Member
Unfortunately living in Canada means in the winter months it isn't warm enough to get out side.

I currently on;y run my UV light for 3 hours. Do you think I should increase that?

Greg T

10 Year Member!
League City, TX
Torts will sometimes grow slowly for the first few years, but you should still see some growth. I'm assuming he eats what you put in there, which is a good diet, very much like what I feed mine now. Mine grew slowly for a while, but then had growth spurts like crazy. Perhaps you aren't feeding enough food? I usually feed mine a big pile, about half their shell size once a day when they can't get outside to graze, and then add mazuri several times a week. You should give them enough food to last for 20-30 minutes of eating.

Also, turn on the UV light more. Mine is on 10 hours on days they can't get outside. That is also a factor in growth.

HipsterTorts

5 Year Member
Southern California
What kind of UV light is it?

I currently have the same issue, I've had my golden greek for 7 months and she still weighs 24 grams.

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
I would increase the UV exposure to about 10+ hours a day.

As long as he continues to eat and otherwise appears healthy, he may just be a late bloomer.

JasonMcK

5 Year Member
Thanks All. I have increased the UV light to 8 hours and then next week I'll bump it to 10.

I have the Solar Glow MV bulb

I usually put a lot more food out than he can eat. I would not say he eats a lot but he spends about 10 minutes eating

J

yagyujubei

5 Year Member
Amish Country
If I were you, several times a day, I would put him right in front of his food. If he walks away, do it again.I had a couple of slow eaters that this helped. Be persistant.

JasonMcK

5 Year Member
Thanks, Funny I added some Mazuri to his breakfast and turned the UV on and he ate for another ten minutes

J

hondaa

5 Year Member
Canada
hey i have slow growning leo tort too. i also live in Canada i have my uv light and other lights on from 930am to 930 at night and i still have slow growth hes under a year old ways in at 136 grams he get sunlight when ever its sunny therw the window. other then that he healthy eat's alot i just think he a Runt of the clutch.

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
hondaa said:
hey i have slow growning leo tort too. i also live in Canada i have my uv light and other lights on from 930am to 930 at night and i still have slow growth hes under a year old ways in at 136 grams he get sunlight when ever its sunny therw the window. other then that he healthy eat's alot i just think he a Runt of the clutch.

How old is the tortoise?

I would say for that weight, the tortoise should be around 1 year old.

hondaa

5 Year Member
Canada
i got him in july from some guy that wasnt taking care of him well. no uva light or heating lights he was just in a glass tank with nothing eles so i had to save him i have no clue of the age and he told me it was a russain tort but he was a leopard torts lol some people are nuts i guess. he also about 3inch and a little bit long
Neal said:
hondaa said:

How old is the tortoise?

I would say for that weight, the tortoise should be around 1 year old.

Jacob

5 Year Member
California
Do you have a MVB BuLB?
Does he ever get any calcium with D3?
& if you feed a varied diet he will strive, its hard to grow stuff in the snow.
but you can try to grow grass, weeds, grazing seeds mixes indoors in separate pots outside of the enclosure?

Status
Not open for further replies.