Earl's not growing...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Csquared87

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
USA
Hello Everyone! I'm new to the Tortoise World and to the Forum, although I have been doing quite a bit of reading here trying to find some help for little Earl.

Our adventure with Earl the baby Leopard Tortoise started about 2 1/2 months ago when I got Earl and his sibling for my Mom for her birthday. We never dreamed our tortoise adventure would turn out to be so difficult. We were prepared and had done our reading. Also prepared for how big her little hatchlings would grow up to be and very excited to watch them grow into beautiful adults.

Earl has been a lively, friendly little guy and an eating machine. His sibling ate only once in their indoor enclosure and few times in their outdoor pen. Sadly Earl's sibling passed away after a month. We were told these babies were 2 to 3 months old, but the one that didn't make it still had her egg tooth. We have wondered if they were younger...

As for Earl and my reason for posting...
Earl is not growing, at all...
He has been been either 28g or 29g each time he was weighed. My Mom has weighed him every week since we got him in July.
She has tried everything she could think of and finally she asked if I would take Earl for the Fall/Winter and see if I could help him.

I kept him in the wooden ZooMed Tortoise house she sent with him for almost 2 weeks. I regrouped on that last week and now have him in a 50gal storage tote trying to keep the humidity high. I have a mix of Coco Soft and EcoEarth for substrate. There is moist sphagnum moss at one end and dry on the other with a hide on each end. He sleeps in the humid one. I have grass and clover seed planted all along the edges. The temp around the outside of the humid hide stays about 90 degrees with 70% humidity. His night time temp is 75 degrees with 45-55% humidity.
A few times a week he gets to go outside to explore and enjoy the sun in a container planted with several grass seeds. At my mom's she had an enclosure in her yard that he stayed in a few hours each day. I will aquire a MVB before it gets too cold for him to go outside.

Earl's diet consists of spring mix, parsley, carrot tops, fresh grasses, fresh clover & alfalfa sprouts, cactus pad twice a week, and Mazuri & Grassland tortoise food every couple days. He tastes everything he's given and seems to eat quite a bit some days. He also nibbles on the grasses and clover sprouting in his enclosure. I have a calcium supplement ordered that should be here soon.

I soak him in warm water for 20 minutes every morning and he potties in his water.
I also mist him several times a day.

Earl shows early signs of pyramiding. Hoping the humidity helps with this...

Does anyone have any ideas or know of anything else I should be doing or not doing to help Earl Grow?

Other than not growing he seems ok. He's very friendly and somewhat active.

Attachments

• ResizedImage_1379651184533.jpg
    ResizedImage_1379651184533.jpg
    129.9 KB · Views: 75
  • ResizedImage_1379651185801.jpg
    ResizedImage_1379651185801.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 76
  • ResizedImage_1379651186663.jpg
    ResizedImage_1379651186663.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 75
  • ResizedImage_1379651186302.jpg
    ResizedImage_1379651186302.jpg
    123.8 KB · Views: 73

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome:). Your enclosure looks good. I would try covering it to keep the humidity a more constant. You want it to be 80% with all over temps no lower then 80 and a basking of 95+. Toms great threads for raising leopards and sulcatas are below in my post. They all will work for your leopard. As for not growing, some do take longer then others. He may just be a slow grower. You might want to try adding a little Mazuri tortoise diet to his feeding and it will help put some grow on, but a slow grower isn't a problem either.
So sorry for the loss of the sibling, that's sad.

Csquared87

5 Year Member
USA
wellington said:
Hello and Welcome:). Your enclosure looks good. I would try covering it to keep the humidity a more constant. You want it to be 80% with all over temps no lower then 80 and a basking of 95+. Toms great threads for raising leopards and sulcatas are below in my post. They all will work for your leopard. As for not growing, some do take longer then others. He may just be a slow grower. You might want to try adding a little Mazuri tortoise diet to his feeding and it will help put some grow on, but a slow grower isn't a problem either.
So sorry for the loss of the sibling, that's sad.

Thank you! My mom and I have been reading Tom's threads since we got Earl. They have been very helpful!
I do keep 2/3 of the enclose covered to help with the humidity and he has been eating Mazuri with his greens.

I hope it is just that Earl is a slow grower, but we have been very worried about him since his sibling didn't make it and he has only gained 1g in almost 3 months.

Adua

5 Year Member
Bump!! I hope someone could see this thread and give you good advices.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
I have 2 hatchlings right now. They hatched mid May-early June. I have had them since the end of July. They weighed 34 grams and 32 grams.
My set up is prefect. It's right on target with how it needs to be. I raised one smooth Leopard already and know I'm doing everything "right". I even give them some Mazuri mixed with weeds and grass cuttings every morning. They freely graze outside later in the day and have an unending food pile indoors. My babies are not gaining weight. In fact they have each lost weight. 2 grams each making them 32 and 30 grams.
I'm seeing how important the start of their life is. I'm hoping (and you should to) that it's a slow start and then they will take off. Keep doing the best care and wait. :)

Sent from my TFOapp

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
I decided to weigh my 2 babies after posting the reply this morning.

Baby1 started at 34grams. Dropped to 32grams and weighed in today at 36grams. Slowly but surely she is on her way.
Baby2 started at 32grams. Dropped to 30grams and weighed in today at 24grams!

Csquared87

5 Year Member
USA
Team Gomberg said:
I have 2 hatchlings right now. They hatched mid May-early June. I have had them since the end of July. They weighed 34 grams and 32 grams.
My set up is prefect. It's right on target with how it needs to be. I raised one smooth Leopard already and know I'm doing everything "right". I even give them some Mazuri mixed with weeds and grass cuttings every morning. They freely graze outside later in the day and have an unending food pile indoors. My babies are not gaining weight. In fact they have each lost weight. 2 grams each making them 32 and 30 grams.
I'm seeing how important the start of their life is. I'm hoping (and you should to) that it's a slow start and then they will take off. Keep doing the best care and wait. :)

Sent from my TFOapp

We are also seeing how important the start of their life is!
I don't really know much about how ours were started, only what we've been doing since we got them.
We too are just hoping he is off to a slow start! I hope that is the case with your two as well. Maybe it just takes a few months for them to get caught up after a rough start...

Losing one of our two just makes me worry that much more about Earl. Some days he seems great, eats and explores for awhile before taking a quick nap. Other days he's not so great and sleeps all day without eating.

We're going to try to close in his enclosure as much as possible this weekend and see if we can get the humidity higher. It's mostly covered but still hard to keep it 70% or higher.
Team Gomberg said:
I decided to weigh my 2 babies after posting the reply this morning.

Baby1 started at 34grams. Dropped to 32grams and weighed in today at 36grams. Slowly but surely she is on her way.
Baby2 started at 32grams. Dropped to 30grams and weighed in today at 24grams!

That's great that Baby1 has gained 4g!
Your other baby seems like Earl.
He was 28g last week, 29g Monday, and this morning he was 27g...
My mom said he was 25g when she first weighed him then stayed between 27g and 29g for two months.

Status
Not open for further replies.