Scared (baby not eating)

Status
Not open for further replies.

vbrookee

5 Year Member
When I first got my Leo I went to petsmart to get everything set up. The woman there showed us some food that is just like what we feed to our Macaws(parrots). So we didn't get it because we already have it. Last night my Leo ran out of spring mix and my grandfather said to give her some of the bird food. I gave her a tiny bit to hold her over till I could go to get more spring mix today. She ate every single bite. This morning we put spring mix in her dish and she did not touch it. We left for a couple hours and came back, still hadn't touched it. I gave her a soak(she pooped twice...ALOT of it too), put some fresh spring mix out, and sat her by it and she just walked away... She has NEVER turned down a meal. What is going on!?!! Is she okay!?! The picture is of the food last night.. Has anyone else fed their baby this food?

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTortForum1376420946.669967.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTortForum1376420946.669967.jpg
    277.7 KB · Views: 140

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Re: Scared

You my friend have a tortoise that knows you have better tasting food . He is holding out for the good stuff . It looks like fruits that you feed him thats a big no no . Is ok as a treat but not a meal and this is one reason why Plus they don't need the sugars. And I would never put and kind of paint on them. No finger paint.

Sent from my C771 using TortForum mobile app

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
RE: Scared

And just so ya know...bird pellets are not the same thing as tortoise pellets. The manufacturer might use the same extrusion process, but the ingredients for birds is not the same ingredients for tortoises.

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
Is there other foods that she eats other than spring mix? I would try feeding her some mazuri or tortoise pellets. You just may have to wait it out. You've feed her some no-no food and she wants more. You just have to continue feeding her fresh spring mix even if she won't eat it until she gets hungry enough. This will be harder for you than for her. She won't get sick or die of starvation. She just has to learn what her proper foods are, and you have already learned your lesson. Keep us posted on her progress.

Baoh

10 Year Member!
Florida
What is the brand name of the food?

vbrookee

5 Year Member
Thanks everyone.. And I'm not sure what it was called in petsmart, but my grandfather who has had tortoises his whole life and raised Macaws said it was the same thing. She is moving around and acting normal, just not eating the spring mix.

There's what petsmart sells and the ingredients and the last picture is what we fed her last night. Everyone says no fruits, but yet the petsmart food has so many fruits in it!

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTortForum1376434506.463157.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTortForum1376434506.463157.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 67
  • ImageUploadedByTortForum1376434531.161944.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTortForum1376434531.161944.jpg
    184.1 KB · Views: 58
  • ImageUploadedByTortForum1376434560.146956.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTortForum1376434560.146956.jpg
    183.4 KB · Views: 58

LeopardTortLover

5 Year Member
Manchester, UK
Pet shops are renowned for wanting to make a profit "buy food we sell here - its the best", and not giving correct dietary and environmental information. I'd trust the forum's advice far more than id trust pet shops :)

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
You also need to give a much bigger variety of food then just spring mix. Forget what the pet store tells you, 99% of it is bad info. Even your grandfather may not know of the newer better way of raising tortoises. The old way, back in his days are not good. Sorry grandpa:D. Check out the tortoisetable.org for edible items. Also, if you haven't yet, read Toms threads below in my post for raising a healthy, smooth leopard. Moths sulcata threads will apply for a leopard. The more natural stuff that is grown outside and not from the grocery store is the best to feed.

Sulcata_Sandy

5 Year Member
Pacific NorthWET
Pet Smart and Petco are the Kmart of pet stores. I avoid like the plague. I order my supplies online or improvise, only going to the Pet-Marts if I am desperate.
All the ones in my area are filled with school girls (high school and college) who just want a part time just and love animals, they are not professionals, just kids. Nothing against them, they work hard, just no background in husbandry or any achedemic training.

Sandy in Oregon
Veterinary Technician, 21 years of critter luvin'
Schlomo aka "Mo" the rescue Sulcata, "man without a face"
"Larry" the Golden Greek..adopted
Dexter and Lola (Basenjis...show dogs extraordinare)

No kids, no husband, just critters and I'm happy.
Sent from my iPad using TortForum mobile app

Baoh

10 Year Member!
Florida
vbrookee said:
Thanks everyone.. And I'm not sure what it was called in petsmart, but my grandfather who has had tortoises his whole life and raised Macaws said it was the same thing. She is moving around and acting normal, just not eating the spring mix.

There's what petsmart sells and the ingredients and the last picture is what we fed her last night. Everyone says no fruits, but yet the petsmart food has so many fruits in it!

It is not all that different from commercial diets often venerated here that are marketed for tortoises. It should be fine to feed as part of a varied diet. It is not bad for his health based on that ingredient list and is actually quite good as a supplemental source of macronutrients and micronutrients. If he ends up eating it to exclusion, you can moisten it and mash it well with chopped greens and grasses to mix up the diet and improve the amount of fiber and phytonutrient intake.

No, not everyone says not to feed fruit. I feed fruit along with a great many other things. I would not advise only fruit, though, or "only" anything for that matter, to others.

LeopardTortLover said:
Pet shops are renowned for wanting to make a profit "buy food we sell here - its the best", and not giving correct dietary and environmental information. I'd trust the forum's advice far more than id trust pet shops :)

Profit is expected when you want to stay in business. Or live in any state of realistic commerce that goes beyond bare subsistence.

SenjiSandy said:
Pet Smart and Petco are the Kmart of pet stores. I avoid like the plague. I order my supplies online or improvise, only going to the Pet-Marts if I am desperate.
All the ones in my area are filled with school girls (high school and college) who just want a part time just and love animals, they are not professionals, just kids. Nothing against them, they work hard, just no background in husbandry or any achedemic training.

Sandy in Oregon
Veterinary Technician, 21 years of critter luvin'
Schlomo aka "Mo" the rescue Sulcata, "man without a face"
"Larry" the Golden Greek..adopted
Dexter and Lola (Basenjis...show dogs extraordinare)

No kids, no husband, just critters and I'm happy.
Sent from my iPad using TortForum mobile app

I am now more interested than I have ever been.

Status
Not open for further replies.