Baby Leopard Tortoise

Luuckylooch013

Hey guys! I'm new to this and I was just wondering why my baby leopard tortoise won't eat. I feed her kale, and sometimes I mix it up with a little bit of spring mix, fortified food, dried fruit mix, and I sprinkle some calcium on top of that all. I've had her for about 5-6 months now and at first she was perfectly fine. Her she'll as gotten softer than it was before and I'm getting nervous! S.O.S.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome to the Forum!

Sounds like you have a baby in trouble and you need to act right away before that shell gets any softer. This is an emergency situation.

Do you have a GOOD UVB light (not one of those cheap spiral-shaped bulbs)?
Do you keep the habitat upwards of 80F all the time?
The diet needs to be changed:

Calcium Power Foods

If you must buy at a Grocery Store, here are some good Options
You don't need to feed ALL of these foods, but you can pick and choose several and change it weekly.

In order for tortoise shells and bones to grow strong and healthy they must have calcium. But the calcium just gets pooped out if you don't also provide UVB either from the sun or from a GOOD UVB light. They work together - calcium/UVB.

Luuckylooch013

Hi, and welcome to the Forum!

Sounds like you have a baby in trouble and you need to act right away before that shell gets any softer. This is an emergency situation.

Do you have a GOOD UVB light (not one of those cheap spiral-shaped bulbs)?
Do you keep the habitat upwards of 80F all the time?
The diet needs to be changed:

Calcium Power Foods

If you must buy at a Grocery Store, here are some good Options
You don't need to feed ALL of these foods, but you can pick and choose several and change it weekly.

In order for tortoise shells and bones to grow strong and healthy they must have calcium. But the calcium just gets pooped out if you don't also provide UVB either from the sun or from a GOOD UVB light. They work together - calcium/UVB.
Thank you so much for the advice! I'm on my way to the grocery store to get some of the stuff now. Thanks again for replying that fast to my sos!

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
Thank you so much for the advice! I'm on my way to the grocery store to get some of the stuff now. Thanks again for replying that fast to my sos!
How are you housing him? What's the enclosure look like?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Diet is not the most important part of my post. Calcium/UVB is. What kind of light are you using?

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
I have her in 45 gallon tank with my other Russian tortoise who is almost 6 years old. They each have a cave to get some ready in and they have a basking light and a UV light as well.
Separating them is where you need to start. Leopards and Russians have different care.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Oh my... I wish we had known you prior to you setting these up together. Wild caught Russian tortoises, which yours most likely is, come into this country very dirty (germy). Besides never mixing species of any kind, mixing Russians with any other species is especially bad.

It is imperative that you set this soft baby up by itself immediately.