Respiratory infection

kelneesh

Location (City and/or State)
Northumberland
Hi all, new to this and just wanted a bit of advice. I've had my horsefield for about 2/3 month and the last couple of weeks he wasn't as active and had bubbles coming out of his nose and sneezing. I Took him to the vet about a week ago and he said he was healthy but bubbles coming out of nose was a sign of respiratory infection and he gave him antibiotics and eye drops. He's had them daily since then but still doesn't seem himself. He's eating multiple times a day so thats not an issue. Is this normal or should he be better by now? He just seems to be sleeping a lot. I showed the vet his tortoise table and he said everything was looking good. I'm just worried about him. Thanks in advance for any advice

_The_Beast_

Canada
Can you share specific information about his enclosure temps, including bulbs being used, and humidity levels? This will help folks identify ways to help your tort recover and prevent the RI from re-occurring. Pics of the enclosure and as much info as you're able to share about diet, environment, soaks, etc., would be great :)

I hope your little one recovers soon.

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
Tortoises mouths are connected to their nasal passage, so when they eat they MIGHT/will bubble from their eating. So decide if the bubbles only happen when eating but the the rest of the time not...Tortoises sleep a lot. My torts go outside graze a bit then go back to bed, and they are not likely to get active in the heat

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
Hello and welcome! It would be great if we could get some more information from you on how you’re keeping them, unfortunately for the most part, vets don’t know how to appropriately house tortoises, most of them are going off outdated information.

What are your temps like? Ie basking spot(directly under the bulb) over all day temps& night temps?
What kind of lighting&heating are you using specifically? Packaging pics are good if you have any
Do you use indoor uv? If so what kind?
How’s your humidity reading? Is this a baby you have? If so they need housing in a closed chamber as they require much higher humidity until they’re a bit older.
What are you using for substrate?

A photo of your full set up would be brilliant if you don’t mind sharing, along with a pic of your tort🙂

The_Four_Toed_Edward

Finland
Please answer the above questions. Upping the ambient temperature to 85F night and day with a ceramic heat emitter will help the recovery.