Rexann isnt coming out

Status
Not open for further replies.

REXANNismyprettygirl

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Arizona
So we made a little covered burrow for Rexann and I used all of that orchard grass she refused to eat as bedding in there. The sun hits it over 2 hours earlier than the one she dug herself. (The burrow she dug by our swingset underneath the rock climbing wall collapsed at the front) The first night she went back to her old burrow and tried to sleep in it again but we pulled her out and put her in the new house and since then she has been happy with her new place. Too happy perhaps... she hasnt come out since Friday morning. Should I be pulling her out to wake her up and feed her every day? I am confused if sulcatas actually hibernate.

Oh and on a side note I got to meet Teri and RV on Thursday... they are both just as wonderful in person!!! :) Thanks again for the cactus pads Teri!! Rexann loved them!

REXANNismyprettygirl

5 Year Member
Arizona
no she hasnt had any heating anywhere. we are looking in to finding one of those heat pads for her so there isnt a light on all night.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
No, sulcatas don't hibernate. It would be a good idea to not let her be in a temperature that goes below 55 degrees. So if your nights are down in the 50's I would box her up for the night and bring her inside.

I notice that you mentioned, "...so there isn't a light on all night." There shouldn't be a light on all night. You need to use a non-light heat source for night time. A CHE (ceramic heat emitter) is heat without light, and is similar to a bulb in that it fits into a regular light fixture. Or you could use a black or red bulb for night heat.

If you want to buy a pig blanket then Osborne Industries is a very good place to shop. The folks there are very nice to deal with:

Osborne Industries, Inc.
120 N. Industrial Ave.
Osborne, KS 67473
USA

Osborne_Industries.com

REXANNismyprettygirl

5 Year Member
Arizona
I will look into those other bulbs!! We were going to put a heat lamp in her 'hut' but I got worried about the light staying on all night. Where can I get that type of heat bulb and lamp?

Is there another option than the box? She clawed like a mad woman the night I tried to bring her in... the temps have been in the high 50s at night around here still.

Thanks for the help!!

RV's mom

10 Year Member!
Phoenix, arizona
before RV had her burrow she would also claw like a madwoman trying to find a warm spot on the patio area where we had her "shelter". Until you find the right temps for her satisfaction, she will continue to claw like a madwoman. I don't know what is on your side of town, as far as reptile supply shops go, I guess you could look online (I'm at work and am limited to time and computer use, or I'd search). My place for reptile supplies is a pet store in Tempe on Southern and Mill (NE corner). You can also try petsmart/petco etc to see if they can help.

sorry I couldn't be of more use to you
teri

i forgot to ask ~ how does your yard face in terms of N / E / S / W ? My house faces north, so the yard faces south. We are lucky that most of the sunlight hits the yard (bummer in the summer, but we survive). You may need to think about where and how you place her new home......

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
I would pull her out and make sure she is ok. If she is too cold it could be getting to her. If you put a heat source in her house. get rid of the bedding.. fire is a danger.
Mine have heat, but they still dont come out much on cold days.. they peek, and go back inside.

REXANNismyprettygirl

5 Year Member
Arizona
all is well in the world of Rexann :) She came out this afternoon, ate a heafty lunch and has been wandering about the backyard. I think she was hunkering down for the storm we got. Apparently she knew ahead of time?

And Teri you are ALWAYS useful to me :) Dont ever doubt that my friend!!

moswen

5 Year Member
good to hear! all animals can sense storms, bad weather, temperature changes, & etc. don't want to get caught in the middle of a rain storm when you're miles away from your burrow, you could drown!

but if you have no heat source in there and it gets below 50s of 60s you really need to put a pig blanket or a CHE or something in there for her at night, but i wout take that hay out of there! if they get too cold they won't move or come out and they'll just be misearble, waiting for the weather to warm up again. if they're too cold and they can't move very fast, how will they escape danger? better to stay inside till it gets warmer.

M

Maggie Cummings

I would never let my Sulcata get below 60 degrees. I'd put a black light bulb in her hut, you can get bulb and fixture at Kmart for under $20. Then you should also get a pig blanket and when she realizes how warm it is in there she won't fight so much. But in my opinion she needs to be locked in a warm hut every night...

Status
Not open for further replies.