Russain Tortoise Breeding? Help please

Status
Not open for further replies.

alben909

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Yuciapa,CA
I am getting 2 female russain tortoises in September and I want to breed them. I have a large pen indoors (4'x3') with 2 hides, a big rock, and a mix of 75% coco coir and 25% mix of organic top soil. I also have a kiddie pool filled will 100% organic top soil. It has a couple plants and 2 large rocks. I have it in half shade and half sunlight. There is no possible way to escape both enclosures. Now on to the breeding. I'm sure you senior members out there are getting tired of these questions (and im sorry if this annoys you), but can someone with experience in breeding russain tortoises please tell me how and when to breed russain tortoises. Thanks to all!!!.

CactusVinnie

10 Year Member!
Bucharest, Romania z6
In that dry, even too warm climate, you intend to keep them... INDOORS??
I would let them hibernate outdoors- careful to keep vermin at bay: rodents etc.- and let them do their thing in next Spring.

kanalomele

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
East Bay area
I definitely agree that you should keep them outdoors. If you have a mixed group of adults they will take care of the actual breeding themselves. Watch out for the male to be agressive, or the females to not get along. Stress can cause breeding problems, also keep the male housed separate for a few months or more. Sometimes over familiarity can cause them to not breed.

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Agreed about the male. You may need to house him separately most of the year so the females can have a rest.
Also, the outdoor enclosure will have to be much larger, so the females can move about and get exercise, get away from each other and the male (when he is in there), and have a choice of nesting sites. They can be very picky.

http://russiantortoise.net/breeding.htm

alben909

5 Year Member
Yuciapa,CA
He is only 4.75". Is that big enough to live outside. It get pretty cold at night. What do you guys think

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Are you measuring in a straight line from front to back? 4.75" is almost full grown for a male steppe tortoise. Yes, he's quite big enough to live outside full time. If you are worried about predators, you can bring them in at night.

alben909

5 Year Member
Yuciapa,CA
That's what I am currently doing. I have a kiddies pool like I said in my question and he stays in that for 8 hours a day. I am going to buy some bricks soon and build him an 5'x4' enclosure outside. But I do have another question. If I put my current 4'x3' enclosure outside, would it be the same as living outside for my tortoise?

CactusVinnie

10 Year Member!
Bucharest, Romania z6
Take a look where these tortoises live: Central Asia. In mildest places winters can have -15*C, in harshest down to -50*C. In our hobby we have mostly Uzbekistan origin, meaning they still find CA a mild place: their winters go down to "only" -25...-35*C LOL! And they usually live in deserts... they are built to digg, in order to protect themselves from heat, cold, dehydration.

You better make a pen/enclosure with natural bottom: ground, for them to digg in. Of course, with hides from sun, features, permeable soil etc. Be careful to secure it, since they climb or digg under, going straight to and emerging in China, or, if not that far, at least escaping the enclosure.

So, don't worry... A gentlemen in Minnesota does not... and his group is kept OUTDOORS YEAR-ROUND and is strong and breeding well.

alben909

5 Year Member
Yuciapa,CA
Thanks CactusVinnie. Ill move his enclosure outside today.

gopherhockey03

5 Year Member
East Grand Forks
CactusVinnie said:
Take a look where these tortoises live: Central Asia. In mildest places winters can have -15*C, in harshest down to -50*C. In our hobby we have mostly Uzbekistan origin, meaning they still find CA a mild place: their winters go down to "only" -25...-35*C LOL! And they usually live in deserts... they are built to digg, in order to protect themselves from heat, cold, dehydration.

You better make a pen/enclosure with natural bottom: ground, for them to digg in. Of course, with hides from sun, features, permeable soil etc. Be careful to secure it, since they climb or digg under, going straight to and emerging in China, or, if not that far, at least escaping the enclosure.

So, don't worry... A gentlemen in Minnesota does not... and his group is kept OUTDOORS YEAR-ROUND and is strong and breeding well.

Who keeps them outside in Minnesota?

CactusVinnie

10 Year Member!
Bucharest, Romania z6
I saw once the original article in English, but never again. Here is the Italian article about outdoor keeping. It is mentioned only some protection from excessive moisture- simple plexiglas covering.
http://www.tartoombria.org/blog/2010/01/07/testudo-horfieldi-habitat-foto-di-t-langerwerf/

It is no wonder, I said it 1000 times... they came from incredible areas for a tortoise, they are mentioned even in Mongolia!! Central Asia is totally different from the usual Mediteranean habitat you know as the tortoise's homes... after all, Horsfields are in fact armoured rats, built for digging deep tunnels to escape the winter inferno... and the summer inferno... and they are left with only 3 months of activity in most cases.

Status
Not open for further replies.