Russian just arrived!

Status
Not open for further replies.

7oasty23

5 Year Member
ImageUploadedByTortoiseForum1366903947.357671.jpg
Just got him delivered from tortoisesupply.com. Awesome customer service. btw. I think I'm going to name him Donatello.

Last edited by a moderator:

7oasty23

5 Year Member
ImageUploadedByTortoiseForum1366905008.440641.jpg

He's very active already, he already pooped twice, and hopefully he'll eat the nice plate of greens and lettuce I put out for him, he's been making laps in his enclosure.

ImageUploadedByTortoiseForum1366905631.156899.jpg

Already munching on some kale greens, my testuado mix is almost grown, and he'll be eating that in a week or so. He seems extremely healthy, you can tell they take really good care of their torts.

Last edited by a moderator:

7oasty23

5 Year Member
So I've had him for a couple of weeks now, and he's been getting more active by the day. He has darkened a lot, and his skin is shedding off his head and neck, I've been led to believe this is normal. I took the second story out of his enclosure because he kept climbing up, and wouldn't come down, I'm assuming he was nervous, because he would stare at the ramp for hours. I added some more substrate, because he likes to bury himself in it. He's eating and defecating every day, and appears to be in pretty good health overall. I don't currently have a water dish, on the advice of Tyler from tortoisesupply, and I was wondering if I should have one? I've been soaking him every other day, and he's been outside about 4 times.

Sent from my iPhone using TortoiseForum mobile app

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southwest Washington
Most would advise you have a water dish. Some Russians use them. However, none of mine do, but then again, I am not watching them 24/7, am it?
If he is being soaked every other day, that's fine. However, once he is well hydrated, you can revert to soaking 1-2x per week. In that case, you should have a shallow water dish available.
(I have heard that soaking increases bowel transit, and perhaps they won't absorb as many nutrients if we speed this process up. However, I do think it is wise to let the tortoise drink and soak if they want=water dish, and when in inside enclosures, soak 1-2x per week because lighting can be drying. But not to overdo it in the long run. I don't soak my tortoises when they are outside, or at least very rarely.)

Chinque

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Florida
Cute tort! You should get all of the tmnts! I take it you're a fan

Status
Not open for further replies.