1. Welcome! Are you interested in tortoises? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our community is the #1 place for tortoise keepers to talk online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your tortoise and enclosure, and discuss any tortoise topic with other tortoise keepers. Get started today!

HELP I dont know if this is shell rot

Discussion in 'Russian tortoises' started by zbarry, Sep 10, 2019.

Help Support Tortoise Forums by donating:

1. zbarry

zbarry New Member

Location (City and/or State):
    Ohio
    Hi so I've had my russian tortoise Donatello for a year now and I've recently started to notice how his shell doesnt look as nice as other shells. I've tried to do some research but I felt like I was just getting my self worried about it being something really bad so I decided to come here and see if someone could help. I dont know if it's like shell rot or just from him growing but I wanted to make sure. Here r some photos.

20190910_173441.jpg 20190910_173447.jpg
    Cathie G likes this.
  2. SweetGreekTorts

SweetGreekTorts Well-Known Member

Tucson, AZ
    (These ads do not appear for registered members.)
    Not shell rot. That's just wear and tear on a wild-caught tortoise. They always look more banged up than captive-bred tortoises due to the wild environment they grew up in.

Lots of soaks and sunshine will help it to look better. Nothing to worry about.
    Cathie G likes this.
  3. Cathie G

Cathie G Well-Known Member

Lancaster
    Welcome to TFO. I'm not an expert and I'm sure more qualified people will answer you soon...but really Donatello looks pretty good. I have a Russian and they do get those areas when they are growing. I just try to make sure my little Saphire gets plenty of nutrients and sunshine. Then it darkens up but pay more attention to the older members here. They will be able to direct you better.
  4. Lyn W

Lyn W Well-Known Member 5 Year Member

UK
    Could it be that his substrate is too dry ? I think they need a moister type that they can dig in; but read this caresheet to start with https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/russian-tortoise-care-sheet.80698/ - then ask as many questions as you need.
    Also if you can post pics of his whole enclosure and the sort of lamps you are using for uvb/basking etc with details about his 4 temps in his enclosure, and soaking regime then members can give you up to date advice specific to your tort.
    ZEROPILOT and Cathie G like this.
  5. Yvonne G

Yvonne G Old Timer TFO Admin 10 Year Member! Platinum Tortoise Club

Clovis, CA
    It looks to me either like someone before you had him painted his shell or it's hard water stains on the older part of the shell. Shell rot starts on the bottom shell (plastron) and it's from sitting in dirty, wet substrate. Try washing the shell with a soft brush and baby shampoo to see if you can scrub the white discoloration off. After he's dry, rub in some cold pressed coconut oil, allow it to set for about 15 minutes, then polish it off with a clean, absorbent cloth. After you've done all that, take another picture so I can see the results (please).
    Cathie G likes this.
  6. RosemaryDW

RosemaryDW Well-Known Member Platinum Tortoise Club Tortoise Club

Newport Coast, CA
    He looks painted to me also so interested to see what you end up with!
    Cathie G likes this.