Shell rot.......

Status
Not open for further replies.

awa1

5 Year Member
Does soaking Russians cause shell rot? I've noticed minor shell rot on three of mine. I had to dig it out and clean it good, but I've got to figure out what's causing this. I use Timothy hay and a deeper end I have damp but not wet coconut core for laying. They stay fairly dry what's causing it. Help please......

Anthony

ottosmom18

5 Year Member
Apply calcium shell oil which may help. If you don't see any improvement, hury to a vet!

ascott

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Apple Valley, California
Do you house them all together? It is a type of fungus that can be transferred from one tort to another, especially in prime conditions...

I would suggest you keep the torts clean and a bit dryer and in/on a substrate that is not conducive to gooping in the active rot spots....when you clean and dry them what type of medicated treatment are you offering?

I would not house them on hay as it can get moldy and create a prime area for bacteria/fungal growth....I would also not wet too much of the substrate while treating the torts...

kanalomele

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
East Bay area
Adults do not need nearly as much moisture as hatchlings do. When kept indoors rot can happen if they are in too damp or moldy surroundings. Take everyone out, clean and sanitize their area. Fresh bedding (I recommend a combo of 50% organic topsoil and 50% Coco Coir. Mist the substrate lightly with a water bottle when you feed them every other day. Soak them individually in warm water every week for about 20-30 minutes. A weak solution of betadine in their baths will help control any bacterial growth until they are healed up.

biochemnerd808

10 Year Member!
Central Arkansas (we moved!)
I agree with kanalomele. :)

I am wondering if putting the betadine into the bath would hurt them if they drink the water? I gently swabbed the shell of my rescues that had shell rot with diluted betadine.

kanalomele said:
Adults do not need nearly as much moisture as hatchlings do. When kept indoors rot can happen if they are in too damp or moldy surroundings. Take everyone out, clean and sanitize their area. Fresh bedding (I recommend a combo of 50% organic topsoil and 50% Coco Coir. Mist the substrate lightly with a water bottle when you feed them every other day. Soak them individually in warm water every week for about 20-30 minutes. A weak solution of betadine in their baths will help control any bacterial growth until they are healed up.

Status
Not open for further replies.