Russian Newbie Here

Status
Not open for further replies.

russiantortlover

5 Year Member
Hi everyone, im a newbie on russian tortoise. I just got my first today after a very long time trying to buy one. He/she doesnt have a name yet so id like some help on picking a name. Or tips to take good car e of it
Ill be posting pics tomorrow
Thank you!!! :tort:

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kent, South East England
Hello and welcome :)

Tom's Beginner Mistakes thread is a great starting place... followed by My tortoise pooped out some white stuff.

For food you cannot beat this Plant Booklet. You can also look up plants that you can buy in the supermarket or that grow around you in the Tortoise Table Plant Database. Both are invaluable as you try to ensure your Russian gets it's correct diet of leafy greens.

Russians cannot process sugar well, so they should not be fed sweet foodstuffs, including fruit which will make them sick if fed too often. Much as they love them, all fruit including strawberry and melon, bell pepper and carrot should kept to the occasional treat or preferably never fed.

Russians are escape artists, brilliant diggers and climbers, keep a close eye on him!

Most new tortoises are very shy at first. It takes them time, sometimes weeks, to decide you and its new are safe. Establishing a routine so your tort knows what to expect and when will help it to get brave. I suggest you start the day with lights on, heat on, a soak (helps with hydration and gets your tort used to handling) and then a feed. Resist the temptation to stand over your little guy watching... that's quite scary for him!

These are my soaking tips

The other cause of problems is temperature. Your tort needs 95F directly under his basking lamp. Indoors the enclosure temperatures that are important are warm end and cool end. You are looking for a range from low 70s to high 80s across the enclosure. Overnight, the temperature shouldn't drop below mid 60s.

Your tort also needs UVB light to be healthy. UVB helps it to make Vitamin D which it turn helps it to absorb calcium which is all important for bone and shell growth. If your tort can get outside for an hour or two a day, no supplementary UVB is needed. Otherwise you need an MVB or tube lamp (not a coil) to provide it.

Jacob

5 Year Member
California
Welcome to the forum, Theres lots of great Info
Why dont you go threw our Threads and read read read :p

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Russiantortlover:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

What would you like us to call you?

...and may we know appx. where in the world you are?

Status
Not open for further replies.