Russian tort feeding behavior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mnash0915

5 Year Member
Hi again
I feel like I post something new every day but I have received so much helpful info from that here I go again! :D
Harry just recently got settled into his new home here with us and he wasn't eating well but now he is eating like a champ! He will let me hand feed him any time I want and he is ready for a full bowl of greens every day at 10 and 2. This morning I was feeding him and I dropped the piece of kale and when to pick it up and so did he and he nipped me. He is a strong dude :). Then when I went to get his food dish at 2pm he saw me open the door and he came right to me. Is this a sign of aggression or is he happy to see me (insert joke here). I love it that he might know who I am but I also know he knows I'm the food wench and that's cool. After I fed him I rubbed his head and neck and back and messed with him so he would not always associate my hand with food. But he certainly knows that the food comes from my hand. He watches it constantly. He stretches his neck up and reaches for it the entire time it is in the cage. Does this mean he thinks I have food or that he is hungry or just curious? He didn't eat for 2 weeks after we got him so I was so fixated on food that is all I have done with the poor guy is left him alone in his house to get used to his new surrounding and push food on him. Now i just don't want him to think my hand is food :)

pdrobber

10 Year Member!
They associate us with the food (not as the food, but bringing it). That's just the way it is. He probably just was so eager to eat he bit your finger by accident. They usually won't bite you other than an accident like that while they're eating. Say you feed him at 10, and go back to him at 12 and he's resting/basking and you want to pet him, he might come over, but it's probably because he thinks you're bringing food. When he sees you don't have any and settles down, and you pet him, it's not likely that he's going to chomp down on you.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
No, Michelle, your hand isn't food, but YOU are the food goddess!!!

Mnash0915

5 Year Member
Thank you guys! I just don't want me little girl to put her hand and there and get chomped :)
He sure did come running when I opened the door and made me a tad nervous :D
I am going to spend more time handling him now that he is settled. Then that might help him associate my hands with more than just food
Thanks for the encouragement :)
Michelle

colorz

5 Year Member
i have had my lil russian tort for over a year n only got bit once n that was cause i had my finger over the lettuce. it was an accident and hes never done it since so theres no need to worry about that.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Apple Valley, California
I am going to caution you about hand feeding...only because you mentioned your daughter possibly being bitten....yes, she can absolutely be bitten...I would begin to wean yourself off of hand feeding....I also would explain to your daughter that she should watch his mouth when she is feeding....in general..tortoise do not bite us out of aggression but you don't want your little one nipped just the same....

As with a snake...you do not want your reptile to associate your hand with food...or mistaken nip/bite may happen.......as an adult the bite from that size of a tortoise are kinda funny...but to a tiny finger it can really hurt or break the skin...just my opinion :D

Your tortoise will continue to be excited to see you but will learn to rush to his dish/spot for goodies....:D

Status
Not open for further replies.