Russian tortoise enclosure lighting advice

Bulbabye.

Location (City and/or State)
United kingdom
Hello,
I currently have the Arcadia D3 UVB basking light but I have been told that this is not the best form of lighting due to potential risk of damage to a tortoises shell. It has been suggested to me that I will need T5 HO tube kits for uvb, with separate flood basking bulb, but my issue is how do I attach a T5 HO tube? Do i connected it to the walls of my enclosure? And What size will I need and what % .

Any advice would be helpful
Thank you so much
-Faye

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Hello,
I currently have the Arcadia D3 UVB basking light but I have been told that this is not the best form of lighting due to potential risk of damage to a tortoises shell. It has been suggested to me that I will need T5 HO tube kits for uvb, with separate flood basking bulb, but my issue is how do I attach a T5 HO tube? Do i connected it to the walls of my enclosure? And What size will I need and what % .

Any advice would be helpful
Thank you so much
-Faye
Is your current UV bulb a mercury vapor type? Commonly sold as "all-in-one" type of bulbs? If yes, then you got good advice to get rid of it.

ZooMed makes adjustable metal stands to hang over head lights from. You'd need one on each end to hang your Arcadia HO tube. Alternatively, you can make a couple of upright posts on the ends of your enclosure with 2x4s or something similar, and attach a horizontal crossbeam at the tops that goes across the enclosure. The UV tube can be hung from this.

The 12% HO tubes from Arcadia work beautifully and make strong consistent UV. I recommend running that bulb for a couple hours a day mid day in summer time when your tortoise is getting regular sunshine outside, and 4-6 hours a day when the tortoise is inside for inclement weather in your climate. You will need additional lighting the rest of the day, and I provide this with LEDs and the basking bulb.

There is a heating and lighting breakdown at the bottom of this, as well as a temperate species care sheet: