Russian tortoise enclosure

method89

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Malverne, NY
That's not really good for most tortoises but especially not good for a Russian. Ideally, they need a 4'x8' enclosure. Now if you're in the city, that could be your entire apartment. I would recommend a critter condo. the longest and tallest one they make. Its a closed chamber which will keep in heat and humidity much better than the tortoise table

Something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07SS5Y1TG/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20

Max0606

New York City
That's not really good for most tortoises but especially not good for a Russian. Ideally, they need a 4'x8' enclosure. Now if your in the city, that could be your entire apartment. I would recommend a critter condo. the longest and tallest one they make. Its a closed chamber which will keep in heat and humidity much better than the tortoise table

Something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07SS5Y1TG/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20
Ok thank you! I just did measurments and i realized i can fit a 4 foot by 8 foot enclosure. I plan to make it myself but just a few questions. What type of wood should i use? How do i heat the whole enclosure? And What do i do if it rains?

method89

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Malverne, NY
are we talking inside or outside?

If you are doing it outside you use pressure treated wood or landscape timbers, don't worry about heat just make sure its in the sun. rain is fine

Inside you can use plywood... and use the reptile dome lights for heat. hopefully it doesn't rain in your house

Max0606

New York City
are we talking inside or outside?

If you are doing it outside you use pressure treated wood or landscape timbers, don't worry about heat just make sure its in the sun. rain is fine

Inside you can use plywood... and use the reptile dome lights for heat. hopefully it doesn't rain in your house
Im doing it outside because our apartment has our own private roof, i think i will use pressure treated wood!

method89

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Malverne, NY
Im doing it outside because our apartment has our own private roof, i think i will use pressure treated wood!
You will need a plan for winter, either hibernate him or bring him inside

Max0606

New York City
You will need a plan for winter, either hibernate him or bring him inside
How do i hibernate him and if i do bring him inside does then inside enclosure need to be same size. Also where can i buy the wood for the outside enclosure online.

method89

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Malverne, NY
You can search all the different topics here on the forum. Your inside enclosure should be as big as possible. You can find everything you need to build either enclosure at home depot

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
You should never let the tortoise roam free on the floor. That is a recipe for disaster.

Check this out:

Max0606

New York City
You should never let the tortoise roam free on the floor. That is a recipe for disaster.

Check this out:
Ok thank you!