Russian Tortoise enrichment/habitat design

Lucygoose100

Location (City and/or State)
Deforest WI
Hello Everyone,
This weekend I made my two adult males new tortoise table habitats. They have been living in glass terrariums for the last several years. I took what I have learned/read from this this group and some other and built them new homes.
Right now they are really happy and running/walking laps around the tables, but I want to add some thing to the cages to make it a better home for them. In the glass terrariums they had a log hide, food bowl and one rock. That was all the room I had for them. They have moved up to a 9ft sq home each and there is a lot of space.
What do you suggest are needed to keep them happy. Since I have two areas to fill each can have a different them and I can switch their homes decor every few months.

Looking forward to your suggestions :)
Kelly

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Rocks, logs, edible plants. Natural things they can hide under.
I notice with my tortoises, once they stop searching so much, cuz they are used to the surroundings, that if I just move things around it will get them back into searching and checking things out.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Actually, because tortoises are territorial, they really don't appreciate you switching around their "furniture."

I like to use those weighted aquarium fake plants as sight barriers. They can't eat them or mess them up and it adds a nice visual touch to the space. Markw84 showed us his enclosures where he uses clump grasses with over hanging blades of grass that the tortoises hide under. Spider plants work well in this regard too. But I would keep real plants in their pots so the tortoises can't uproot them.

Lucygoose100

Deforest WI
So I have almost finished my boys new homes, just need to get new food stones (going this weekend).
I know they are a little smaller than is recommended aprox 6 sqft each, but it is a huge step up from what they had (a 20gal L and 50gal tank) and they are both more active and seem happier. I only had so much room available to place the new homes.

• The warm side of the enclosure is staying right around 85 degrees F and the cooler side around 70 degrees F.
  • The substrate is the Plantation Earth with some Forest Floor mixed in, I have one corner with crushed walnut for the food dish (this guy is a really messy eater and this is easier to clean).
  • I ordered a mister and it will arrive next week, so they are getting warm water soaks every 3 days.
  • They have a humid hide in the cool end, but have yet to use it.
  • I tried to create sight line breaks but still have room for them to hide and walk around.
So my question is, are they too full or not enough? Or did I get it right?
I had a lot of bad information about their husbandry for many years and I am trying to do right by them now, so please feel free to comment. I want to finally get this right.

Thank you for everyone's help so far.

Attachments

• 20190208_064634.jpg
    20190208_064634.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 41
  • 20190208_064626.jpg
    20190208_064626.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 42