Russian tortoise feeding

Status
Not open for further replies.

Meggers

5 Year Member
Ok so I have a Russian tortoise and he has a small food bowl let's say the size of my plum ( I'm thirteen ). I fill up the bowl once a day, and he eats it up in less then an hour. I hear some people feed their tortoises twice a day. So I was wondering should I feed him more?

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southwest Washington
If he gets a lot of exercise ( roams his enclosure inside or out, all day) then you can feed him as much as he likes.

If he basks, or hides most of the time, feed him a mound of weeds and greens that total about his size.
You can break it into two feedings if he looks for food in the evening.
In the wild, they often feed am, then bask in the sun or rest in the shade, (depending on the temps), and eat more in the evening before 'retiring' for the night, lol.

bud

5 Year Member
I was going to ask this same question! Thanks

What are the signs of over feeding?

Arizona Sulcata

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Mesa, AZ
In my opinion its almost impossible to over feed. Tortoises will stop eating if they are no longer hungry. Feed them as much as you'd like until there starts to become some left over. Then you'll know about how much he likes to eat.

bud

5 Year Member
That's what I was thinking too but I keep seeing other folks saying that they feed every other day or a few days in a row and skip two days.

Status
Not open for further replies.