Russian tortoise food

James9811

Location (City and/or State)
Newcastle upon Tyne
Hi guys! I don’t suppose any of you have weeds (catsear in particular) that you grow all year around and sell? Struggling to get any and I’m stuck with the supermarket stuff + supplements at the moment

jsheffield - In Memoriam

5 Year Member
Westmoreland, NH
In the cold months, I feed my Russians mostly a spring mix I get at my local market.

I supplement with greens from Misfits Market, a weekly feed with some cubed butternut squash, and generally top their greens with opuntia flour and a dried mix of flowers, weeds, herbs, and seaweed.

They make it through just fine.

Jamie

James9811

Newcastle upon Tyne
In the cold months, I feed my Russians mostly a spring mix I get at my local market.

I supplement with greens from Misfits Market, a weekly feed with some cubed butternut squash, and generally top their greens with opuntia flour and a dried mix of flowers, weeds, herbs, and seaweed.

They make it through just fine.

Jamie
Awesome thank you, is there anything you take out of the spring mix or is it all good?

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Hello and welcome ? I don't really use the spring mixes even though they are good. But that depends on what your grocery store has to offer. I'll buy fresh leafy greens for me and take the best darkest greenest of it and make salads for my tort. I eat the rest or throw it out. But I actually enjoy a lot of them so they don't have to go to waste.. it would be dark green romaine leaves, collards, endive, dandelion, maybe beet greens, celery leaves, chard, the list goes on. And then the supplements listed above. My little Russian loves Zucchini so I give him a little treat now and then with the deep green peel attached.