Russian Tortoise Habitat Feedback

Status
Not open for further replies.

BetsyTheTort

5 Year Member
OK, So I finished decorating my 40 gallon ZooMed Tank for my Russian Tortoise!

For substrate I used 36 quarts of Coco Coir Fiber on the bottom and 18 quarts of Forest Floor Cypress Mulch on the top (Works good enough =) I would give it 3.5 out of 5)

I use a 75 watt UVB light (NOT COIL) and an 100 watt heat lamp

As a diet she gets spring mix with dandelion greens in it one a day =) And I always have ZooMed Grassland Tortoise Food Available for her, she absoloutely LOVES IT!! I HIGHLY reccomend (5 out of 5 star!)

I will be adding plants to the terrarium soon!

(And please dont say she needs a tortoise table because I was going to make one but I find that tanks are MUCH more efficiant. Plus she loves to watch me through the glass =))

Let me know what you guys think!!!

Attachments

• Photo on 2013-02-09 at 15.14.jpg
    Photo on 2013-02-09 at 15.14.jpg
    121.9 KB · Views: 115
  • Photo on 2013-02-09 at 15.13 #2.jpg
    Photo on 2013-02-09 at 15.13 #2.jpg
    108.3 KB · Views: 133

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southwest Washington
That looks good. Plenty of substrate.
I would only suggest that you put the UV and heat lamp on the same side, so that when she basks, she gets UV. Perhaps a small piece of slate or tile under the heat lamp. Then you have your warm side and cool side.

I like it, especially if she has an outside enclosure to look forward to in the warmer months? (They do like to roam and seem to do well with exercise).

BetsyTheTort

5 Year Member
Thank you!!!! And yes in the spring I will let her out to roam around our yard =)

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
If you have the UVB light sitting on top of screen, enough UVB is not getting to your tort. Screen blocks most of it. Cut a hole under the bulb or remove the screen. I would also add a small plant or two. Boston fern, pothos, ponytail palm, aloe, just a few I can think of. You can look on tortoisetable.org for others that are tort safe.

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
I suggest a digital thermometer/hydrometer to accurately measure your temps and moisture levels. I have no faith in those stick on ones. I buy mine a RadioShack and they are inexpensive. Or better is a wireless remote that you can set the base in the room you spend the most time in to monitor the temps. What are you using for nighttime heat?

theelectraco

5 Year Member
Just curious as to which UVB you have that is 75 watts? What brand? Power suns and solar glo are both 100+ watts from what I know of.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
theelectraco thread got me worried. If your lights are the coil kind, get rid of them. They have been known to cause eye problems. We just had a couple this past week using them and their torts were having eye problems. A tube flourescent UVB is good for russians.

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
theelectraco said:
Just curious as to which UVB you have that is 75 watts? What brand? Power suns and solar glo are both 100+ watts from what I know of.

I am curious as well. I can think of several UVB lamps under 100w, however none are 75w.

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Now I am concerned too. Can you tell us the brand of your UV light source? Could it be a plain UVA bulb?
Good pick up about the screen blocking the effect, too.

Edna

5 Year Member
Rawlins, Wyoming
Your stick-on thermometers are find. Like any thermometer, they do a great job of telling the temp of their location. I also use a temp gun to check temps of other locations in my enclosures.

Eloise's mommy

5 Year Member
Utah
Looks good don't worry about it being a glass tank I think that is based on each torts personal preference...From what I gather some of them don't stop trying to leave the tank they don't realize the glass is stopping them but if yours doesn't do this what is the harm....I would move both lights to one end like another member sugessted then You can add a second level or higher elevation for your little climber at the other end.

BetsyTheTort

5 Year Member
Thank you all! And EVERYBODY WHO GOT MIXED UP ABOUT THE UVB LIGHT I got totally mixed up as well.. LOL Im talking about a a 75watt light for another turtle! SO SORRY! Yes I use Zoo Med's NEW Compact ReptiSun 5.0 UVB/UVA 13watt Light.. so sorry for the confusion!!

OK WAIT, Would compact be the same thing as COIL?! I could not find anything different?!? Please let me know!

Status
Not open for further replies.