russian tortoise injury?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tortoisefriend

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Buffalo, NY
i have a russian tortoise and he seems to have injured his lip/beak and i'm not sure what should be done, what it means, etc.

he lives in a glass enclosure with coconut fiber and sand substrate.
i have not noticed any difference in his behavior or amount of activity. he roams and climbs on rocks that i have placed in his cage and seems happy. i have seen him at his water dish more often than usual. is he dehydrated in the summer heat? what causes scale peeling like this? i am so worried. i have had him for 3 years, and rescued him from a negligent family that had him for 6 years. he is my best friend.
here is a photo. please let me know what i can do, what other information may help your assessment, etc.

thank you. post replies soon! please!

Attachments

• tortoisethread.jpg
    tortoisethread.jpg
    365.5 KB · Views: 103

Jill Herring

5 Year Member
tortoisefriend said:
i have a russian tortoise and he seems to have injured his lip/beak and i'm not sure what should be done, what it means, etc.

he lives in a glass enclosure with coconut fiber and sand substrate.
i have not noticed any difference in his behavior or amount of activity. he roams and climbs on rocks that i have placed in his cage and seems happy. i have seen him at his water dish more often than usual. is he dehydrated in the summer heat? what causes scale peeling like this? i am so worried. i have had him for 3 years, and rescued him from a negligent family that had him for 6 years. he is my best friend.
here is a photo. please let me know what i can do, what other information may help your assessment, etc.

thank you. post replies soon! please!

Sorry to hear about your tortoise but the same thing happened to mine a year or so ago, the scale fell away and the scale beneath hardened. I think it is just a growing thing, shedding his skin.. hope this helps.

samstar

5 Year Member
Looks like shedding to me which is normal. I hope thats what it is. Nonetheless it will heal by itself.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
It looks like the beak is pretty over grown. He will need to have it filed down. That's one reason that it has broken off. Also, its quite painful when that happens.

Were it mine, I would have a qualified tortoise vet show me how to do take care of the beak, then after that I would do it myself. Most people use a Dremmel tool and file the beak down, but I have also used toe-nail clippers. Both work equally well.

And WELCOME to the forum!!

M

Maggie Cummings

He is in pain, please go to the Vet and have them dremmel off the over grown part then you need to keep it filed down. It is too over grown. Also get rid of the sand it's not good for tortoises. Gal you made it here so we can help you care for your friend correctly...

firework

5 Year Member
looks like some dead tissue from its face. I wouldn't worry too much as long as you give it enough water and soak regularly.

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Colorado
Have you had the chance to take him in yet?

I'd love to see the "after" shot of his new and improved visage. :D

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
do they offer plastic surgery for tortrs? :)

chairman

10 Year Member!
Mississippi
dmmj said:
do they offer plastic surgery for tortrs? :)

I once saw a turtle living in Blue Springs, FL whose entire rear quarter had been replaced by fiberglass due to a boating accident. The tour operator said the turtle had been like that for years. Does that count?

Status
Not open for further replies.