Russian Tortoise Made a Run for It - in Oregon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bobbi

5 Year Member
Hi Everyone,

Our Russian Tortoise, Nikko, ran away on Thursday. It is getting cold and has been raining. I found a gap in our fence.

I think they usaully surface in the rain, but we still have not seen him.

I believe he got out of the back yard. There is a grass seed field down the road, but I have a feeling that he found the hole going under the paved parking in front of the garage.

Is there a good way to set a trap for a tortoise?

He loves carrots and I put some out along the sidewalk. Those in front of that hole are missing this morning. The others are still there.

ANY suggestions would be very helpful. We love him very much.

Thanks everyone,

Bobbi

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Bobbi:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

I hope you find your tortoise.

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
Hello and welcome to the forum.

Sorry your tort has gotten out, Russians are very good escape artist

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
he is probably dug down for winter.. have you checked his entire enclosure? dug down?
they hide great..

Bobbi

5 Year Member
Thank you :)

He wasn't in an enclosure. I let him sun when the sun is out and then take him back inside. We have had him almost 6 years now. He's always stayed in the back yard. I made the mistake of going in the house for 5 minutes and he was gone.

I looked all over - felt the ground, for possible burrows, but have found nothing. All I can think of is that he found that gap in the fence - a very new gap - that I didn't know about.

Does anyone know of how to entice and/or trap a tortoise???????

I think he may be under the payment where I park - not sure, but haven't seen him surface anywhere else...

Thanks,

Bobbi

Nikki

5 Year Member
Did you find him? I have a Russian too, who escaped about a week ago, I am beside myself, I have searched everywhere and raked and dug, we have 2 acres of land so he could be anywhere! I am still searching! Now its raining and my yard is flooding, I am afraid he has gone into hibernation and he might drown :( Good luck with your tortoise!

Bobbi

5 Year Member
Oh Nikki ~ so sorry for you also!!

No, we haven't found him yet. :( We are so sad, but my daughter (11) is being very encouraging and says she just knows he will show up in spring and surprise us.

It's raining here a lot also. I'm praying for your tortoise. I believe God loves the little creatures also.

fbsmith3

5 Year Member
Worcester, MA
This might be silly, but I'm throwing it out there. Have you tried setting up a basking light near where you think he is hiding?

I know my box turtle will run, well walk very quickly, toward the basking light when temperature is just a little too cool for her.

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
He could indeed be burrowed down. We don't get as cold in the Pacific NW but winters are wet, obviously. Under pavement would be drier.
He may have had time to create a burrow over the 6 years...if so, they can hide in an instant, and they can be 1 or 2 feet away or down and you just can't see them.
Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.