Russian tortoise sexing... Help!

Lishadawnn

Meet Squirt, my first Russian tortoise. Well, first tortoise period. I bought him at Petco, which now I realize was not the best. The associate who helped me said he was a male, so I took her word for it. After he, which I now believe is a she, brought so much joy to my family, I ordered a female. They're kept separate for the time being. Eventually, I would like to get a male once they're able to go to an outside enclosure this spring sometime. I live in Oregon, where it is too cold right now to be outside. I just want to make sure my suspicions are right and Squirt is a female. Thank you very much for your input! I'm so excited to have found this little jem of a forum!

Attachments

• 20170302_183428.jpg
    20170302_183428.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 22

GingerLove

5 Year Member
Squirt appears to be a female! :) Congrats! My only question is, how old is Squirt? Sometimes they start out looking female and then mature into something else.

Lishadawnn

Thank you! Squirt is 5.5 inches long, but I'm not sure what age she is. From my reading, between 5 to 19 years old?? Any advice is much appreciated!

Squirt appears to be a female! :) Congrats! My only question is, how old is Squirt? Sometimes they start out looking female and then mature into something else.

GingerLove

5 Year Member
That's a good size for determining the sex, in my opinion. So your tortoise is female!:) Break out the pink!!!!:p

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Fes, Morocco

Lishadawnn