Russian tortoise

molly.watkins

Location (City and/or State)
georgia
I have a 5 year old Russian tortoise, who only likes to come out of her hiding rock when she eats. she only eats a small amount of food, then crawls back to her rock. should I be concerned, and what can I do to help her?

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
How long have you had her?
She senses the days shortening, so she might be slowing down for brumation.

If you did not have her last winter, do you know if she brumated?

I'm thinking you are referring to an indoor enclosure. What are the temps? If she's too cold she won't eat.

molly.watkins

georgia
How long have you had her?
She senses the days shortening, so she might be slowing down for brumation.

If you did not have her last winter, do you know if she brumated?

I'm thinking you are referring to an indoor enclosure. What are the temps? If she's too cold she won't eat.
I’ve had her for about 4 years now but she didn’t really do this last fall, it started in the winter when she kinda slowed down. He basking light is 91 and her night light is at 70. She will eat a small amount one day. And like nothing the next.

molly.watkins

georgia
This is her enclosure, it’s a 50 gallon. I took her food bowl out to clean it and put some apples in it. She normally stays in the rock most of the day

92E8CF75-30FD-4D9F-BA93-4CF8F37B5D51.jpeg

Golden Greek Tortoise 567

Colorado Springs,CO
First of all the enclosure is way to small. That water dish is a hazard, torts can flip over and drown. Please read this care sheet...

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
The gallons in an aquarium are measured for how much water (volume) it holds. Your little creature will only be using floor space, so volume isn't an important measurement. He needs floor space. A full grown russian needs at least 4'x8', or better yet, outdoors.

molly.watkins

georgia
Her floor space is about 37x19. I also get her out for 2 hours everyday. She also has a screened in area outdoors that is very spacious. Should I be worried about her health? Just because she’s not eating as much