Russians new outdoor summer home

Eltemp

Location (City and/or State)
St. Peter, MN
Tank and Dozer use to spend their time outdoors in a kiddy pool with a expanded iron top. It was time to update thier summer home. They looked around with the local Realtor and decided there were no home for sale in their purchase range (due to the market crash a few years ago the bank was not willing to loan much out to two unimployed tortoises). My wife decided it was time to give them a loan even though they were not likely to ever repay us the money. She had been watching the yard all spring for the sunniest safest spot for the torts to build their new summer home. There was a spot off the end of our deck that got lots of sun more of the day. the rest of the yard is covered by 4 large maples so sun is a rare commodity and we have raised gardens in teh other sunny spots. We buried cinder blocks a foot down around the perimeter and had some landscaping blocks that were from an old project that was disassembled. The pen goes under the deck so there is shelter from rain. The project was cut short as we were dodging Minnesota thunderstorms this weekend. Hopefully by the end of next weekend it will be done. As we were constructing we ended up getting another russian who needed a good home. There will now be a divided that has to be added to the pen at least till next summer assuming they get along fine with the new comer, so it's more of a summer town home now.tortoisepen1.jpg What it started as you can see their previous summer home.
tortoisepen2.jpg
The Helpers woke up from their naps.tortoisepen3.jpg
This was as far as we got this weekend.

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Wow, your wife is a primo tortoise enclosure designer! Glad you gave them a loan ;) , they will be very happy and so will you.

PS. your helpers seem to be hard workers.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Wow! That's looking impressive :) Just make sure that there is no way they can climb those walls - have an over hanging lip on the interior. Those stines look climbable by Russians.

Eltemp

St. Peter, MN
I am adding a mesh top so there should be no escape. I will post pics later tonight of today's progress.

TurtleTab

I really love this design! I've been wanting a screen top like that! Amazing job!