Sad Event with a Positive Closing

Len B

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
Not to long ago I gave an adult female sulcata to a Forum member. She hadn't been active on the forum for about a year but we kept in touch. She came and picked up the tortoise after she had everything set up in it's new house. Yesterday I got a phone call that she had died earlier and her family didn't know what to do with the tortoise I gave them a name of a business in Warsaw Virginia that I knew had at least one male sulcata. They called and took the sulcata that I called Galloper down and gave it to them. I called the business so I could give them a little history, habits and the diet she has been eating. They are not planning on breeding her which was a concern for me. But if they were it wasn't a big deal. So the rehoming went smoothly and quickly and I have confidence that Galloper has found a forever home. But then again I thought the same thing when Lisa took her home.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Not to long ago I gave an adult female sulcata to a Forum member. She hadn't been active on the forum for about a year but we kept in touch. She came and picked up the tortoise after she had everything set up in it's new house. Yesterday I got a phone call that she had died earlier and her family didn't know what to do with the tortoise I gave them a name of a business in Warsaw Virginia that I knew had at least one male sulcata. They called and took the sulcata that I called Galloper down and gave it to them. I called the business so I could give them a little history, habits and the diet she has been eating. They are not planning on breeding her which was a concern for me. But if they were it wasn't a big deal. So the rehoming went smoothly and quickly and I have confidence that Galloper has found a forever home. But then again I thought the same thing when Lisa took her home.
Wow.
I completely understand.
I feel very personal about any tortoises that I sell or gift out to their forever homes. And it's why I no longer allow breeding here.
It's just too big of a burden on my mind.
So many people....Members of this forum mostly. Have taken my rescued RF home. And so many have lost contact with me. I can only assume that they're doing well.
You can only do what feels best. And then hope you made the best decision.
Usually it is.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
I understand also. I adopted a little box turtle I named Daisy May because my grandson begged me to. Since I really didn't want a box turtle eventually I found her a new home. It took several years though. I still wonder about her and that's been some years. My son and his family are friends with the family that now has her. Every once in a while I can find out how my little girl is doing.😊 she's still mine kinda 😁

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Yep, don't breed no more, too hard finding the right homes that will listen. I had good luck with that until their home life changed and the first to go seems to be the tortoises. That's when contact is lost.
I hated it when I bred dogs and had a rock solid contract.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I understand also. I adopted a little box turtle I named Daisy May because my grandson begged me to. Since I really didn't want a box turtle eventually I found her a new home. It took several years though. I still wonder about her and that's been some years. My son and his family are friends with the family that now has her. Every once in a while I can find out how my little girl is doing.😊 she's still mine kinda 😁
I have a Russian I adopted/rescued as a favor for a friend. Never wanted a Russian. Would like to re-home him, but after all these years, he has attached to my heart and I would always wonder and worry about him. Some day I might find just the right person to take him.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
I have a Russian I adopted/rescued as a favor for a friend. Never wanted a Russian. Would like to re-home him, but after all these years, he has attached to my heart and I would always wonder and worry about him. Some day I might find just the right person to take him.
Yes. I would have kept the little boxy but I just couldn't give her and my Russian enough room. I adopted Sapphire first and really he was everything I wanted. I wanted to have a tortoise around me. It still took me several years to find the perfect home for her because I fell in love with her too 😅. And wasn't about to let just anyone have her. Daisy May ended up being a birthday present for a 17 year old girl. Her parents were wanting Daisy May as much as their daughter for their daughter. They had reptiles to. I felt safe for My little boxy