Safe cactus?

TheWarTortoise

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Pennsylvania
I went to Giant today and picked up this cactus pad. It didn't have any identification, it just said "Cactus Leaf". If this is safe for my torts, how would I go about getting the little thorns off it? Thanks.ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1462150133.390189.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1462150193.222086.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
At the grocery store, that is Nopales. Here on the Forum, that's TORTOISE FOOD!!! Opuntia

You can rub lightly with a plastic scouring pad, but you really don't have to remove them. They don't hurt the tortoise.

TheWarTortoise

10 Year Member!
Pennsylvania
At the grocery store, that is Nopales. Here on the Forum, that's TORTOISE FOOD!!! Opuntia

You can rub lightly with a plastic scouring pad, but you really don't have to remove them. They don't hurt the tortoise.

Thanks a bunch! I also purchased an aloe leaf from the same store (it wasn't in a pot or anything, it was in the produce section). Is that safe as well, or should I stay away?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Safe to be fed occasionally. If fed too often loose stools are the result.

Daniel Freel

5 Year Member
New Jersey
Today I purchased 2 prickly pear cacti plants but they are not spineless. The have "Snow" written after the words prickly pear cactus. They are covered in white spines. Are these safe for my sulcatas to eat?

bryson white

5 Year Member
Southern California
probably not safe unless you can get all of the small microscopic hairs out. they can be really bothersome to tortoises and humans.