Safety Check

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pepper.

5 Year Member
Please identify which are safe for a tort's diet before I feed them.

Kangkong
kangkong_pic.jpg

Kailan
Kailaan10.jpg

Mustard "Mustasa"
amustard2.JPG

Thai Basil
5Thai%20basil.jpg

Thanks in advance.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Foothills above Sacramento CA
if its edible to people, its ok, but some stuff only in small amounts.. like Spinich. That first one with the flower.. Id stay away from.. until you can find out for sure..

none of that is stuff Ive seen before..

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
This is Kang Kong:

"Kangkong has been translated into English as swamp cabbage or river spinach, but those names don't reflect what kangkong really is except for the fact that it grows where there's a lot of water. It has also been called swamp morning glory because of its flowers. In French, it is called liseron d'eau. "

kailan:

"Kailan, also named Chinese broccoli or Chinese kale. Many people like the crunchy texture of this leavy vegetable with thick stem, but often complain its mild bitter taste, too. Some readers asked me if I have a better to cook Kailan. Seriously, unless is baby kailan, I will not use stir-frying method as it does not sound appetizing to have the thick kailan stir-fried. I think, this is probably the best way to cook and taste Kailan without its inherited bitterness."

Because it is bitter, your tortoise probably won't eat it. I wouldn't use it very often.

Mustard is fine to use.

Thai basil:

"Thai Basil (bai horapha) tastes rather like anise, looks like sweet basil and is therefore sometimes called Thai Sweet Basil. Bai horapa is used in large quantities and in many dishes in Thailand, including stir-fries, salads and soups and Thai red and green curries. This tropical variety is the source of the unusual basil flavor in many Thai dishes. The leaves are smaller and a darker green then Western sweet basil, with purple stems and purple flower buds. The edible leaves and flowers have a distinctly licorice scent."

We don't usually use herbs as part of a tortoise's diet, but I don't remember why...maybe too high in oxalates? I don't know.

Here's a translation of some of the Phillipine veggies :

vegetables = mga gulay

bell pepper = siling pari ok
bitter gourd = ampalaya not palatable
bottle gourd = upo no
cabbage = repolyo occasionally (goiterigen)
cashew = kasoy no
celery / chinese leek = kintsay / kinchay no
chayote = sayote no
chili pepper = siling labuyo occasionally
chinese cabbage (bok choi) = petsay / pechay occasionally
cilantro leaves = wansuy occasionally
corn = mais no
cucumber = pipino no
edible pot = bataw (not sure about the english translation...) ?
eggplant = talong occasionally
garlic = bawang no
ginger = luya no
jicama / turnip = singkamas greens yes
jute = saluyot no
lima beans = patani no
mung bean sprouts = toge / togue / togi occasionally
mustard = mustasa yes
native horseradish leaves = malunggay occasionally
onion = sibuyas no
peanut = mani / mane no
potato = patatas no
pumpkin = kalabasa leaves & fruit - yes
radish = labanos leaves ok
spinach = alugbati(?) occasionally
sponge gourd / luffa(?) = patola no
string beans = sitaw / sitao no
sugarcane = tubo no
unhusked rice = palay (husked rice is bigas; cooked rice is kanin) no
watercress = kangkong occasionally
wax gourd = kundol no
winged bean = sigarilyas no
sweet potato = kamote fruit yes

Becki

5 Year Member
Albuquerque
I emailed the Tortoise Table once about basil. Their reply was that it is safe, but the tortoise probably wouldn't be interested in it.

Pepper.

5 Year Member
Tracy Gould said:
I do not know any of these plant but here is a good site where u can check most plants

http://www.thetortoisetable.org.uk/site/plants_19.asp?thissection=5

I love the site that you provided, very helpful and interesting to learn from. Thank you very much Tracy. I will take a gander on it.

Laura said:
if its edible to people, its ok, but some stuff only in small amounts.. like Spinich. That first one with the flower.. Id stay away from.. until you can find out for sure..

none of that is stuff Ive seen before..

Okay Laura, thank you very much. I'll research on the first one with flower which is Kangkong, because lots of tort keepers here feed kangkong because torts love to eat them, but upon researching with Emy we've learned that kangkong is water spinach. Thanks again Laura.

@Emysemys:
Thank you so much once again Emy, I'll save your list in notepad so I can keep track on what I can feed them daily and occasionally and the ones forbidden to be fed. God bless you Emy.

Becki said:
I emailed the Tortoise Table once about basil. Their reply was that it is safe, but the tortoise probably wouldn't be interested in it.

Oh okay, so it's okay for me to try to serve it on their feeding dish right? I just had a gut feeling that he would love it that's why I planted some seeds and it's growing sproutlings now. Thank you so much Becki.

Torty Mom

5 Year Member
Bakersfield, California
Kangkong, scares me. It REALLY looks like morning glory. If it were my torties I would NOT feed it. Not worth taking any chances. I think it's great that you are growing stuff for your tortie! There are many other flowers that are safe.

Pepper.

5 Year Member
Torty Mom said:
Kangkong, scares me. It REALLY looks like morning glory. If it were my torties I would NOT feed it. Not worth taking any chances. I think it's great that you are growing stuff for your tortie! There are many other flowers that are safe.

Thanks Torty Mom, I appreciate it. What food do you feed your torts with? I tried feeding mustasa(mustard) to my Elongata and he's uninterested with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.