Status
Not open for further replies.

Lou

10 Year Member!
Hi

I have been thinking about different designs for water dishes. My criteria are:

1) a material that isnon toxic and safe to use
2) with a slope that leads up into the dish, so there is no defined ledge
3) with a slope that leads into the dish, so again there is no defined ledge.

This way, the tortoise can easily climb in and out without a fear of tipping over.

Which made me think of clay. I actually have a lot of the terra cotta natural clay that is made by Sculpey, which I can sculpt into a shallow dog bowl shape (so again easy in and out, and I dont have to worry about the tortoise tipping the dish over).

Anyone know if this clay (once baked and hard) is safe for tortoise use? also, do I need to cover it with glaze to make it completely water proof? (ie, would the water slowly dissolve the baked clay dish and thus the tortoise consume this?)

This is what I am talking about: http://creative-wholesale.com/Sculpey.html

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
If it says non toxic, it should be fine. Yes, I do think you would have to glaze it, as I do think the water will seep through. Most of us uses the clay saucers that goes under flower pots. Sink it level with the substrate and the tort shouldn't have a problem in or out. If it does, a rock or two can help.

Lou

10 Year Member!
Cool. Thank you very much. My original idea of using clay was to provide a rough surface for more grip and wear down their nails...which using a glaze kinda beats the point...lol

Status
Not open for further replies.