Seed mix

Nrc470

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Virginia
Is this a good seed mix for me to feed to my golden Greeks. IMG_1539442681.835917.jpg

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Greetings...it’s just a mix of different lettuce types. No other grasses or weeds, etc. it will grow quickly, but not sure that’s what you want?

What type of tortoise?

Nrc470

5 Year Member
Virginia
So would it be safe for my tortoises. I have two golden Greeks.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
It would be safe for sure, as long as you don’t fertilize your soil. However, not sure how “nutritious” it would be.

You might want to plant a different cold weather sprouting crop like collards or kale or turnips or clover.

From the Greek care sheet..

Food
Greek tortoises spend much of their time gazing on edible landscape. For this reason, it is an excellent and healthy idea to offer weeds such as Dandelion, clover, plantain, hawksbit, cat's ear, wild strawberry, and thistle. When these items are not available like during the winter months, they can be replaced by dried, bagged organic herbs. These can be found online. Store bought greens like collards, mustards, kale and turnip can be offered sparingly. Commercial diets such as Mazuri are excellent for helping the tortoises maintain good weight but again should be offered only in moderation. Calcium supplements in the form of cuttle-bone are wonderful additions to their diet. The tortoises will gladly nibble on them as they feel the need and take in appropriate amounts. Source: https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/greek-tortoise-testudo-graeca-care-sheet-overview.87146/

Hope that helps.