seeking advice - loss of tail scales

Crzt4torts

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Northeastern US
Hi, just joined.
Looking for information - have mature Russian tortoise male, apparently losing scales on tail. Loss started at tip, moving up closer to shell now over several months.
Was housed with female for 11 years, female recently matured, mated several times. Now housing separate.
Anyone experience this loss of scales on tail?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome to the Forum!

Of course, you know, we're all going to say, "WE NEED TO SEE PICTURES OF THE TAIL!!" But it sounds like it might be some sort of bug or infection going on.

Crzt4torts

5 Year Member
Northeastern US
So here is a picture of his tail, seems to be very slowly creeping up his tail since I noticed several months ago...
No redness, swelling or anything other than the way it appears -no scales. There used to be scales on entire tail.
He has been mating rather enthusiastically, not sure if that is a factor.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
That portion of the tail may have been rubbing on the substrate as he breeds. Clean it well and apply some ointment (Neosporin) to it once a day. Probably best to apply it at night so it stays clean for a while.

Crzt4torts

5 Year Member
Northeastern US
I will try that, thank you! I hope his scales can grow back.
Also I have separated him from the female, she needed a break from him. I am planning to keep them apart for awhile. They were together 11 years without a problem, but I was worried about the high frequency of mating lately.
I have 3 eggs in an incubator at the moment, hoping for hatchlings!