Roaming on the Floor of my House

Anastasia 22

Location (City and/or State)
Texas
My Russian boy just did not want to stay in an enclosure. He's extremely curious and active. I let him walk around the house. He has a wooden cave where he goes to sleep or when he wants some privacy...

The_Four_Toed_Edward

Finland
My Russian boy just did not want to stay in an enclosure. He's extremely curious and active. I let him walk around the house. He has a wooden cave where he goes to sleep or when he wants some privacy...
There are many other problems to raming the floor than the lack of hides... I won't start listing them all here, but have you really considered whether this is safe https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/can-i-allow-my-tortoise-to-roam-the-floor-of-the-house.175735/ Here is a great post on why you shouldn't let your tortoise to roam the floor.

Anastasia 22

Texas
There are many other problems to raming the floor than the lack of hides... I won't start listing them all here, but have you really considered whether this is safe https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/can-i-allow-my-tortoise-to-roam-the-floor-of-the-house.175735/ Here is a great post on why you shouldn't let your tortoise to roam the floor.
You are right. Unfortunately, I know how it can be. I had a Russian tortoise for 18 years and he was out of an enclosure. It was many people in the house and nobody really took care of him. Poor baby. He was always on his own. When I left that house I had to find a new home for him. Hopefully he is doing better now.
After many years I decided to get me Russian tortoise again. I did everything to make sure that my tortoise is safe, can hide etc. He knows where to find food and water, where he can play, where he can climb if he wants (and it's safe). I take him outside every day where he has a little tortoise playground.

The_Four_Toed_Edward

Finland
I am curious, how do you have UVB, heat, humidity and digging opportunities provided?
You are right. Unfortunately, I know how it can be. I had a Russian tortoise for 18 years and he was out of an enclosure. It was many people in the house and nobody really took care of him. Poor baby. He was always on his own. When I left that house I had to find a new home for him. Hopefully he is doing better now.
After many years I decided to get me Russian tortoise again. I did everything to make sure that my tortoise is safe, can hide etc. He knows where to find food and water, where he can play, where he can climb if he wants (and it's safe). I take him outside every day where he has a little tortoise playground.

Anastasia 22

Texas
I am curious, how do you have UVB, heat, humidity and digging opportunities provided?
I have big windows. Almost all the rooms have sunlight from 8am till 6.30pm, I keep the temperature up to 82F. Humidifiers are always on. I filled several boxes with dirt, sand and mulch for digging. Also there's a heating lamp by his "cave".... I hope he is happy. Eventually his shell is much brighter now compared with how it was a couple months ago when I got him.
I am really thankful that I found this forum. I am learning a lot and I want my boy has everything he needs.

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
I have big windows. Almost all the rooms have sunlight from 8am till 6.30pm, I keep the temperature up to 82F. Humidifiers are always on. I filled several boxes with dirt, sand and mulch for digging. Also there's a heating lamp by his "cave".... I hope he is happy. Eventually his shell is much brighter now compared with how it was a couple months ago when I got him.
I am really thankful that I found this forum. I am learning a lot and I want my boy has everything he needs.
Window glass filters 100% of UVB, unfortunately.
Sorry, to ruin the party - but techically you and The Four Toed Edward hijacked a thread :) @Anastasia 22 can you start your own thread in the Introductions section and tell us more about you, your tortoise and his habitat? (Photos are welcome, of course)

Anastasia 22

Texas
Window glass filters 100% of UVB, unfortunately.
Sorry, to ruin the party - but techically you and The Four Toed Edward hijacked a thread :) @Anastasia 22 can you start your own thread in the Introductions section and tell us more about you, your tortoise and his habitat? (Photos are welcome, of course)
Sorry 😞 I didn't want to cause anything like that 😔