Sexing and confirming Greek....

Bibi

Hi there, new to tortoise care and after help. One of my posts was moved to Greek so I am thinking I have two Greeks? I would also like some help sexing. I hope the pics are okimage.jpgimage.jpg image.jpeg

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kent, South East England
They're both girls and they look like they are pretty old. Lovely torts :)

Generally we say not to keep torts as pairs as bullying and fighting are common, but I suspect these two have been getting along together for long enough, and have sufficient space, to be OK :)

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
I have just reread your post and realise that they are new to you. It is possible that changing home could trigger territorial bullying. You will need to keep an eye on them.

Their diet is leafy greens. Lettuce alone isn't sufficient. They cannot digest sugars properly, it causes digestive and kidney problems, so fruit, tomato, pepper and carrot should only be fed very sparingly and very occasionally - if at all.

Have you read the Beginner Mistakes thread?
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/

Bibi

They're both girls and they look like they are pretty old. Lovely torts :)

Generally we say not to keep torts as pairs as bullying and fighting are common, but I suspect these two have been getting along together for long enough, and have sufficient space, to be OK :)
Thank you. I was thinking the same but never had tortoises before. I am based in Morocco and only took these two on recently as they were left in a villa. They have a whole terrace but I limit them with a barrier if people are coming for their safety. There has been some butting by Daphnie but I guess that has probably been going on a while. There may have been a shortage of food so I am seeing how that settles down.

Outside area when closed, three times the size when open.

Many thanks image.jpg

Bibi

I have just reread your post and realise that they are new to you. It is possible that changing home could trigger territorial bullying. You will need to keep an eye on them.

Their diet is leafy greens. Lettuce alone isn't sufficient. They cannot digest sugars properly, it causes digestive and kidney problems, so fruit, tomato, pepper and carrot should only be fed very sparingly and very occasionally - if at all.

Have you read the Beginner Mistakes thread?
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/
Yes, thank you. Have moved on a bit since that pic. They are getting hibiscus leaves and flowers, a little turnip, having trouble getting 'greens' here so trying to identify plants. I believe prickly pear is ok. It is a learning curve at the moment

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Hi @Bibi and a very warm welcome to the forum!

Cute torts. GOD bless.

By the way, even I have a Greek tort (OLI), and I'm madly in love with him. And I live quite near: I'm based in Jordan.