Sexual behavior in a female (?) Hermann's tortoise

Status
Not open for further replies.

chelonologist

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Redlands, California
I have a four-year old western Hermann's tortoise (from HermanniChris) that was incubated for female, and at just over four inches shows female characteristics. Today I found her mounting a female marginated tortoise and simulating copulation with her, bumping her shell and even letting out little sqeaky grunts. Has anyone ever observed captive female Hermann's tortoises engage in this behavior? Or should I look a little further into the possibility I have a male?

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
Can you post some photos of your Hermann's tail area? While Chris undoubtably incubated to produce females, that's not a guarantee that all females are produced. In fact a small percentage of males are always produced when incubating for females and vice versa.
You either have a male or you have a female that is sexually mature and "wants" to be bred. Sexually mature female Hermann's when in season will sometime mount males and act like another male. This may be a stimulus for a male to defend his territory and his females and encourage him to breed with that one and other females in a group.

chelonologist

10 Year Member!
Redlands, California
Pics attached. I think I may be dealing with a female that is just coming into maturity.

Attachments

• Cleo01.JPG
    Cleo01.JPG
    124.6 KB · Views: 96
  • Cleo02.JPG
    Cleo02.JPG
    153.8 KB · Views: 113
  • Cleo03.JPG
    Cleo03.JPG
    136.3 KB · Views: 109

Watermelon

5 Year Member
Sorry to butt in but this has made me wonder:

When mine eventually reaches maturity would it be cruel not to let her breed? Also for a female western hermann... At what age do they reach full size and sexual maturity?

Thanks

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
Watermelon said:
Sorry to butt in but this has made me wonder:

When mine eventually reaches maturity would it be cruel not to let her breed? Also for a female western hermann... At what age do they reach full size and sexual maturity? Thanks

Not cruel, as tortoises are fine solitary, but as Westerns are kinda few and far between, letting her breed would add to the numbers of a rare tortoise. And that's a very GOOD thing. :tort:

About 5" is when she may start being interested, probably not before...female Westerns can get up to about 8".

Watermelon

5 Year Member
Thank you, when I'm older (only 20 now and living with parents) I'd like more tortoises and maybe a rescue one so I think I'd be interested in breeding. How many years old till a western female will be 5 inches do you know?

Thank again.

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
Watermelon said:
Thank you, when I'm older (only 20 now and living with parents) I'd like more tortoises and maybe a rescue one so I think I'd be interested in breeding. How many years old till a western female will be 5 inches do you know?

Thank again.

Hard to say, due to diet and various other factors, but at least 5 years, on average, and possibly as long as 10 yoa.

mbarricarte

5 Year Member
I own a male and I am looking for a female 5 years old or so Hermann tortoise or be willing to give mine away to a harem since he is definitely ready to mate.
Monica
[email protected]

Status
Not open for further replies.