Spinning hatchling

Status
Not open for further replies.

chelonologist

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Redlands, California
So I've had Cleo for a couple of months now - she's the western Hermann's tortoise hatchling I got from Chris. She was only a couple of weeks old when I got her, and very tiny. Right away I noticed an interesting anti-predator behavior that she would display when she felt intimidated. She would tuck her head into her shell, and flail her limbs in a way that made her body spin around and around. It was the craziest display I've ever seen a turtle do! She's a bit older and larger now, and she doesn't engage in that behavior anymore. Apparently it's restricted to very young hatchlings.

Has anyone else seen this behavior in their Hermann's tortoise hatchlings? What about other species of Testudo?

Josh

Ask questions, share answers, talk torts!
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Redlands, CA
i have never heard of anything like that but, oh please tell me you took a movie of it!

purpod

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Today is my birthday!
Ventura County, CA
Hiya Doc ~

Nope, I've never heard of such either, but I ditto Josh's hopes in that you snagged such on "film" ~

Purpod

siwash

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Toronto
what are you putting in his water dish?!

;)

chelonologist

10 Year Member!
Redlands, California
josh said:
i have never heard of anything like that but, oh please tell me you took a movie of it!

I wish I had, but I didn't! As I mentioned, she only did it the first couple of weeks I had her, and she seems to have outgrown it at this point. It was CRAZY looking - like a little whirling turtle dervish. I could see how it would freak out any potential predator - even if just for a moment.

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
I've had quite a few hatchlings do a less involved version of this. :p They pull in their heads and spin away from another tortoise, a finger anything that scared them. they usually just go about 180 degrees and stop.
I've never had a hatchling keep going, unless you kept putting your finger in front of them.
So it is a natural behavior, basicly keeping your head away from potential harm. Better to lose a leg than your head.
I think your hatchling Michael just took it to an extreme. :D

Danny

purpod

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Today is my birthday!
Ventura County, CA
It makes me smile thinking about it ~ Thanx Guys!
:cool:
Purpod

siwash

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Toronto
i wish my little guy was half that active...

i'm lucky iof I get him to crawl a cm

sigh...

Status
Not open for further replies.