Shell and sneezing?

tortol

HI guys! I have my Russian named Penny and recently her shell is looking really really rough. I bath her as often as I can (which is about every day or every two days) and I take her outside as much as I can but, now that the weather is getting colder, that time is verylimited. She also has an exceptionally large grown line an kind of white dry spots on it. I've been really worried and don't know what to do and other than that she is pretty healthy. Thank you so much! :)

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kent, South East England
Sneezing is not a good sign. Sorry, but we need detailed answers to get to the bottom of this.

What's the enclosure like? (Pictures paint a thousand words)
What's the humidity in the enclosure?
What substrate do you have?
What are you using for basking and UVB light?
What are the 4 important temperatures? Warm side, cool side, directly under the basking lamp and overnight minimum.
What are you feeding your tort and how often?
Are there any signs of nasal discharge or eye problems? (again photos will help)

tortol

The "sneezing" is very infrequent but I don't even know if it's a sneeze that's just what it sounds like. Her enclosure is a 100 gallon tank with coconut substrate. I feed her every day and I don't know exactly what her temperatures are but I will find out later today. Here are some pics:
That is the box the basking bulb came in. It is 75 what and is about 98 degrees for her basking spot.
Preview attachment 20161106_152358.jpg

20161106_152358.jpg
3.4 MB

Preview attachment 20161106_152315.jpg

icon_1_image_x16.png

20161106_152315.jpg
3.7 MB

Preview attac

hment 20161106_153516.jpg

20161106_153516.jpg
5.2 MB

tortol

That's her on the sidewalk nest to our yard. If you need more pictures I can upload some more.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Unless you have a Google account, you can't see the pictures.

GingerLove

5 Year Member
Her shell is fine as far as I can tell. My Russian tortoise has the same white "spots" on her growth line and she behaves normally. As for the rough spots on the shell, it may mean her light isn't working correctly. Sometimes they still shine without the UV rays. Also, if you could describe the sneezing, that would be helpful. Because a lot of tortoises make a "hiss" or "puff" noise when they pull in their head. Mine wheezes when it water. What exactly does it sound like? And could anything be lodged up her nostrils?

Mr Buster

Reno NV
Sneezing could be caused by fungal problems in the substrate. Unfortunately, a lot of respiratory problems can only be diagnosed by a vet and lab analysis. It could also be a virus or bacteria.

Mr Buster

Reno NV
What kind of wood is in the substrate. Pine and cedar chips can give off toxic fumes which get worse when under a hot lamp.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Sneezing: You say it's only occasionally. Is this just the huff as your tort pulls its head/legs in? The chest can't expand due to the shell so pulling the head in results in a sneeze-like exhalation.

That looks like quite a big tort and a very small floor area. Russians are very active and they need lots of space (4'x8' minimum)

Also your bulb is good for basking (UVA), but what are you using for UVB?

The basking bulb must hang vertically, not be at an angle, and must have 95-100F directly underneath it at tortoise level. The temperature is adjusted by adjusting the height of

The effectiveness of the lights is impaired when they're obstructed by a mesh screen like you have. There must be nothing between the lamp and the substrate.

Your bowls aren't tort friendly either. For water use a terracotta plant saucer sunk into the substrate. For food use a piece of flat rock or slate that helps with beak maintenance while your tort eats.

tortol

Her shell is fine as far as I can tell. My Russian tortoise has the same white "spots" on her growth line and she behaves normally. As for the rough spots on the shell, it may mean her light isn't working correctly. Sometimes they still shine without the UV rays. Also, if you could describe the sneezing, that would be helpful. Because a lot of tortoises make a "hiss" or "puff" noise when they pull in their head. Mine wheezes when it water. What exactly does it sound like? And could anything be lodged up her nostrils?
It is like the whiff or puff but it sometimes will happen while im reading in my bed (which is almost 6ft away from her tank) and I was just wondering why she does it! I'll look into getting her a new UV Light and I'll get rid of the mess screen! Thank you!

GingerLove

5 Year Member
Okay, that sounds pretty normal. Mine does that if something is in her eye or sometimes just out of the blue. I usually get up to check on her, and usually something's in her eye or she was just being a goof. I'm pretty sure that's the same case with you! :)

tortol

Sneezing: You say it's only occasionally. Is this just the huff as your tort pulls its head/legs in? The chest can't expand due to the shell so pulling the head in results in a sneeze-like exhalation.

That looks like quite a big tort and a very small floor area. Russians are very active and they need lots of space (4'x8' minimum)

Also your bulb is good for basking (UVA), but what are you using for UVB?

The basking bulb must hang vertically, not be at an angle, and must have 95-100F directly underneath it at tortoise level. The temperature is adjusted by adjusting the height of

The effectiveness of the lights is impaired when they're obstructed by a mesh screen like you have. There must be nothing between the lamp and the substrate.

Your bowls aren't tort friendly either. For water use a terracotta plant saucer sunk into the substrate. For food use a piece of flat rock or slate that helps with beak maintenance while your tort eats.
Thank you! I'll take your advise and do that immediately. Also I was wondering what kind of calcium supplement I should use because the kind I use now she doesn't like and when I spray it on her food she won't eat. If you have an recommendations that would really help! Thanks again!

jockma

5 Year Member
Los Angeles County
Calcium supplement...you can try cuttlebone. It's cheap so not a huge loss if she doesn't take to it.

I've never heard of calcium supplement you can spray on food. Most of us use calcium powder or cuttlebone, I think. You can try the powder...but sometimes they don't like that either, it can smell funny to them. If all else fails she'll eat eventually once she's hungry enough, so tough love may work here.

tortol

Calcium supplement...you can try cuttlebone. It's cheap so not a huge loss if she doesn't take to it.

I've never heard of calcium supplement you can spray on food. Most of us use calcium powder or cuttlebone, I think. You can try the powder...but sometimes they don't like that either, it can smell funny to them. If all else fails she'll eat eventually once she's hungry enough, so tough love may work here.
I wasn't able to find any

I wasn't able to find any cuttlebone for tortoises but I did find this powder online. Do you think it will work? http://www.petsmart.com/reptile/foo...cium-supplement-powder-26775.html?cgid=500007

Mr Buster

Reno NV
Typically, cuttlebone is not marketed for tortoises but for parakeets. Buy it in a pet store in the bird section and make sure you remove the plastic on the back. Just place the cuttlebone in the habitat and typically the tortoise will eat it by instinct if it needs it. A lot of people put it in there and it is not touched for months but typically a pregnant female or a young tortoise going through a growth sport will make it disappear over night. I don't like calcium powder because over doing a vitamin like that can cause health problems in its own right.

jockma

5 Year Member
Los Angeles County
Yes cuttlebone is usually for birds, any bird section in a pet store SHOULD have some.

I've never tried the NatGeo products...anyone else able to vouch for them? It should be okay, I think the issue some brands of calcium powder have is too much phosphorus so if that's not an issue here it should be okay.