Shell condition of 25ish YO male?

Ak3035

Location (City and/or State)
Arizona
Hello,
Tiny’s mom here to ask about a relative’s older Sulcata, Rex. He is 23-25 years old, not exactly sure but they’ve owned him since he was a baby.

He lives outside full time in southern AZ with a heated box for winter. I’m not sure exactly what heat they’re using inside the box but they do close him in nightly when it’s cold.

Posting because Rex’s shell seems very dry to me and has a crack of some sort, and I haven’t seen too many pictures of one his age to compare to.

He is of course a terror and rams everything in sight including pots and furniture, but he has a huge yard to roam with grass, water, and lots of trees, bushes and a patio for shade.

Anyways, any thoughts or pictures of your similar aged tortoises are much appreciated. I will pass anything along with the hopes my relatives listen to advice, if need be.

Attachments

• IMG_8660.jpeg
    IMG_8660.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 8
  • IMG_8667.jpeg
    IMG_8667.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 10
  • IMG_8668.jpeg
    IMG_8668.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 7
  • IMG_8665.jpeg
    IMG_8665.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 8
  • IMG_8664.jpeg
    IMG_8664.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 7
  • IMG_8662.jpeg
    IMG_8662.jpeg
    4.3 MB · Views: 8

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Hi and welcome! Rex is really cute, and maybe wishing he had a nice big pond to soak in?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
The heat source in his shelter is too close to the shell and is burning him.

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
I would work on hydrating him internally. If he's eating a good balanced diet, extra cucumbers and lettuces work well. Even iceberg lettuce won't harm him. Back 1996 when I got Walker as a hatchling I didn't know he needed a high moist environment. I never seen him drink water but I always fed him moist to wet foods. He started drinking water from a bowl in the summer of 2006.