Shell help

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChrisandTaryn

5 Year Member
Hi I am quite new to this forum... this is the first time I have posted something, so I hope all goes well. I am concerned about my hieroglyphic turtle's shell. His name is Vern. It looks spotty, but it's not soft or smelly, well at least it doesn't smell any different than the normal turtle smell. We have had him and his tank mate (Petrie, a yellow belly cooter) for a year in September. We think it might just be that he is starting to shed his scoots, but I have never seen it happen before so I though I would post some pictures and ask some people how have more experience.
I'm not sure if this information will be helpful but I'll let you know anyway. Their water temp is 80 degrees F, basking is about 87 degrees F. They have a day/night lamp that is on a timer set for 12h on and 12h off. We do use city water but we condition it to get ride of chemicals. They have a constant supply of calcium to eat. We feed them turtle pellets every other day. We also give them bugs like beetles, spiders, flies, we also give them romaine lettuce or broccoli leaves about once or twice a week. We clean their tank once every two weeks and change/clean the filter pads and carbon bags every 2-3 weeks.
Please let me know if I'm doing anything wrong and if you have any ideas as to what is going on with Vern's shell. Thank you so much!

Attachments

• Vern_Aug_2011.jpg
    Vern_Aug_2011.jpg
    777.1 KB · Views: 29
  • Vern02_Aug_2011.jpg
    Vern02_Aug_2011.jpg
    634 KB · Views: 19
  • Vern03_Aug_2011.jpg
    Vern03_Aug_2011.jpg
    670.3 KB · Views: 15

LindaF

5 Year Member
I am not an expert so I hope others will chime in as well. Looks like he his getting ready to shed some scutes. That is how my RES get. Like air bubbles trapped between the new scute and old scute. My advice is to leave them alone and let nature take it's course.

ChrisandTaryn

5 Year Member
Oh that is such a relief! And the way you described it as "Like air bubbles trapped between the new scute and old scute." that's exactly what it looks like. Thank you so much

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi ChrisandTaryn:

Welcome to the Forum!!

May we know your name and where you are?

ChrisandTaryn

5 Year Member
My name is Taryn I'll probably be the one usually on this account but my boyfriend and I share it, his name is Chris and we live in Ontario.

Status
Not open for further replies.