Shell rot?

CuteNoodle

Location (City and/or State)
Ontario
My turtle is about 5 years old now and I noticed his shell had a white appearance to it. I'm not sure if this is shell rot or just the old shell coming off. I have noticed his shell is starting to peel of in small pieces instead of large scutes as they normally would. The white areas don't smell or feel soft. These past few months I have been trying to figure out a good basking platform since I believe he cannot climb onto his current one (it's too small), so I think he hasn't been able to completely dry off to shed scutes. I think he has been able to dry off the top half, which is why there is less white on top. I have been taking him out and putting him in a tub for an hour to completely dry off and I have noticed his scutes seem to be coming off better.

He's currently in a 75gal tank and I do a 75% water change every 2 weeks (with water conditioner). His diet consists of 2 varieties of pellets twice a week, and assorted green veggies the other days.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-02-05 at 9.26.13 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-02-05 at 9.26.13 PM.png
    704 KB · Views: 35

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Looks more like retained scutes (scutes that haven't she'd) to me but I'm no expert. @Markw84 could probably answer your question better.

cdmay

10 Year Member!
Somewhere in Florida
Looks more like retained scutes (scutes that haven't she'd) to me but I'm no expert. @Markw84 could probably answer your question better.
Agree, there are retained scutes that didn’t shed off cleanly, or were picked at before they were ready to come off.
Appears to have some fungal issues as well.