Shell rot?

mattgrizzlybear

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
NE Ohio
I want to know if my southern painted turtle has shell rot. A couple scutes are dis colored and almost peeling off. Also the underside is all white. Thanks!

Diamondbacks4Life

5 Year Member
Pennsylvania
Your turtle just needs to shed really badly, looks like it has a couple layers it needs to shed. So it isnt shell rot, the scutes are just lifting up to shed off. The reason the bottom is white since it never shed the first scute layer has a build up of hard water deposits.

Whats your lighting like for him and basking area and diet? Usually when a turtle has a build up scutes not shedding like that its from feeding it to much causing to fast of growth or lighting isn't correct.

Id go to the pet store and buy a small bag of hakari wheat germ pellets. Mix it in with his diet. It contains a bunch of vitamin E that will help promote shedding. Also dont be tempted to pull on the scutes either coming off. You can damage the newest layer of scutes by doing that.

mattgrizzlybear

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
Diamondbacks4Life said:
Your turtle just needs to shed really badly, looks like it has a couple layers it needs to shed. So it isnt shell rot, the scutes are just lifting up to shed off. The reason the bottom is white since it never shed the first scute layer has a build up of hard water deposits.

Whats your lighting like for him and basking area and diet? Usually when a turtle has a build up scutes not shedding like that its from feeding it to much causing to fast of growth or lighting isn't correct.

Id go to the pet store and buy a small bag of hakari wheat germ pellets. Mix it in with his diet. It contains a bunch of vitamin E that will help promote shedding. Also dont be tempted to pull on the scutes either coming off. You can damage the newest layer of scutes by doing that.

I feed him Zoo Med Gourmet Turtle food and I have a 45w heat bulb. Ill get some of that wheat germ food asap.

ashbelys

5 Year Member
Do you have a UVB light on him? That is also important for growth and such.

meghaffer

5 Year Member
We take our turtles outside in a container they can't climb out of when it's warm and sunny. This really helps with shell health. We always stay close though. Lots of predators in our area. They'll stay out for about an hour. We try to change light bulbs every six months. UV coating can wear off long before the bulb stops emitting light.

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
It's perfectly O.K. to aid in the situation!

How many times have I literally helped "finish" [ or start maybe in your case ] the shed by simply "peeling" it off with your thumbnail.. or plastic knife. It's O.K. to scratch their plastron to loosen the old dead shell.

It's O.K. to dry-dock them to allow the shell a chance to "flake-off" naturally - it is important that they are able to bask where they will thermo-regulate and totally dry out! It's all part of the natural process.

My female terrapins shed every year.. so I keep an eye out to make sure it goes complete - or I'm out there "scratchin' away" ! They seem to appreciate it!

Hope this helps...

mattgrizzlybear

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
Redfoot NERD said:
It's perfectly O.K. to aid in the situation!

How many times have I literally helped "finish" [ or start maybe in your case ] the shed by simply "peeling" it off with your thumbnail.. or plastic knife. It's O.K. to scratch their plastron to loosen the old dead shell.

It's O.K. to dry-dock them to allow the shell a chance to "flake-off" naturally - it is important that they are able to bask where they will thermo-regulate and totally dry out! It's all part of the natural process.

My female terrapins shed every year.. so I keep an eye out to make sure it goes complete - or I'm out there "scratchin' away" ! They seem to appreciate it!

Hope this helps...

Ok I'll try aiding the situation. They do have a spot to totally dry out. Thanks all for the help!