Shell rot?

riley_bla41000

I have two red eared sliders and my male, Bruce has this round white spots about the size of an apple seed all over his shell. I've looked at pictures of turtles with shell rot but my turtle's looks different. Also the smaller scutes around his shell are starting to dissolve I can't really explain it that well. Is it shell rot or not?Thank you! ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1419404045.689523.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1419404084.539187.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1419404169.772280.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1419404196.239122.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1419404235.222065.jpg

Sorry for the bad pictures!

riley_bla41000

are you providing them with a UVB light and a basking light?

I have both now, when I purchased my turtles from pet smart in April they helped us get the stuff we needed but they told us we only need the basking light, but after I did some reading I went and got a uvb light the next day. he had it on his shell when we purchased him but I didn't know because it was only in one spot. The two turtles I have now are my first turtles, I really want to get more but I'm not going to until the ones I have are healthy.

riley_bla41000

Actually... I agree with mike taylor :)
It's called 'retained scutes'. I've GOT to stop talking about this :rolleyes: but here's something on that-
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/retained-scutes.100721/

Thank you so much for helping me! He's had it for a while and I was really scared it was shell rot! I have a couple of questions though, can I feed it too both of my turtles or should I just feed it to the one? What worked best for you? About how long will it take for his shell to be back to normal? And when his shell is back to normal should I still feed it to him? Thanks!

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
OH, USA
Thank you so much for helping me! He's had it for a while and I was really scared it was shell rot! I have a couple of questions though, can I feed it too both of my turtles or should I just feed it to the one? What worked best for you? About how long will it take for his shell to be back to normal? And when his shell is back to normal should I still feed it to him? Thanks!
Do both you turtles have retained scutes? :D
I did it everyday for about a month, and then the layers of shed ski just started flying off! I do still, to help keep it nice and smooth, but not everyday :D

Diamondbacks4Life

5 Year Member
Pennsylvania
Any chance you can get better pics. Ill Be the devils advocate here. Possible that its not normal shedding to me, some areas look too white? Also is that an actual indent in the 4th pic like shell has hole at side?

riley_bla41000

No only the one, my female looks like she is about to shed her scutes! I'm so excited though because these are my first turtles and I want to see them shed there scutes!

riley_bla41000

Any chance you can get better pics. Ill Be the devils advocate here. Possible that its not normal shedding to me, some areas look too white? Also is that an actual indent in the 4th pic like shell has hole at side?

I'll try in a minute and If he gets on the basking platform I can get better pics, and it's not like a hole in the shell it's mor like a small chunk of his shell like broke off his shell but he has three little parts.

Diamondbacks4Life

5 Year Member
Pennsylvania
Yea I have that feeling its probably shell rot actually. I noticed in the pic female he was down below her and unless it was trick of the water. If you noticed two lumps are now at either side of his head. He has double ear abscesses

riley_bla41000

ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1419459221.343826.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1419459236.358161.jpg
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1419459255.789616.jpg

They're still bad photos but when he does bask I'll post them as soon as I can!

riley_bla41000

Yea I have that feeling its probably shell rot actually. I noticed in the pic female he was down below her and unless it was trick of the water. If you noticed two lumps are now at either side of his head. He has double ear abscesses

Yes he does have ear abscesses but they've gone down a lot, almost like they're gone, we plan to take him to the vet soon when we have the money.

riley_bla41000

I don't know if this can happen but they don't look like they are there anymore, but we're still going to take him to the vet to make sure.

riley_bla41000

Just to be clear though, he had the ear abscesses when we purchased him from Petsmart, we didn't know until recently though.