Shell rot? Please help.

rebakahrose

Hello, this is my Red Eared slider Pistachio. I've had her 3 months and I love her so much. I got her from Petco, and we all know they don't keep them in the best conditions. She had dark spots on her shell and I figured if was because bad conditions, and it went away for awhile. Now it is back and I'm concerned it's shell rot. I want the best for my turtle. I know nothing about shell rot or how to treat it. So anything you can tell me will be beneficial. ImageUploadedByTortForum1390690421.101681.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1390691206.021018.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I don't really know much about shell rot. Someone will be along soon to help though.

kathyth

10 Year Member!
Beaumont, CA.
I don't know that turtles get this condition as they live in the water. Certainly not positive.
A turtle pro will read this and help you.

Diamondbacks4Life

5 Year Member
Pennsylvania
Can you circle in paint or something thats pointing to the spots of concern? Nothing looks like shell rot to me. Only thing wrong is turtle needs to shed badly, has a lot of retained scutes but nothing that looks like shell rot.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
I don't see any rot but he needs to shed badly.

Diamondbacks4Life

5 Year Member
Pennsylvania
Besides making sure you have proper lighting best thing you can do is buy a wheat germ based pellets like Hikari. Mix it with whatever brand your currently feeding your turtle about a 30/70 ratio.

TortsNTurtles

10 Year Member!
North East
Pistachio Is a cute name. They are fun turtles I have recently found the joy of owning an RES too.