Shell Rot? Red-Eared Slider

happy9056

Location (City and/or State)
Provo, Utah
Hi, I recently inherited a red-eared slider from my parents. She was my childhood turtle, but I have been away at college for the past 5 years.

I'm not sure she is in the best health and would love some advice before we schedule a vet appointment. It looks like her shell isn't very healthy and may be showing some signs of shell rot. Does anyone have experience with this? Could anyone confirm/deny if this is shell rot? Would love some hel. We've only had her for about a week and have already had to replace many of her tank features. IMG_2056.jpgIMG_2056.jpg

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
Looks like lots of retained scute material, not shell rot. Hard to be sure from the picture, but does not look like rot.

Get on a good diet with proper heating and lighting and let the turtle go through a couple of good sheds.

jeff kushner

North of Annapolis
Now that the real talent has made a determination.....I can comment.......

I had a red-ear that happened to. He was in a tank with several others, he was the only one to develop that condition. I ended up populating a pond @ Downs park with him and his tank mates several years ago.....and when I visited this summer, he's still there and doing fine. He's REALLY easy to tell from the other turtles when they come up to you looking for food. LOL