Red eared slider eggs?

kennedye11

Location (City and/or State)
Hello! I could really use some expert advice. May 19 I looked out of my window, and noticed a red eared slider digging in the sand. I kept checking on her for about an hour, and when she left I went to look at what she was doing. To my surprise 6 adorable turtle eggs. I brought them in at about 50 days, due to the possums and raccoons around my house. They are now 66 days old, when I candle them I see a lot of activity so I know they are alive. They’ve had 80-90 % humidity, and a temp that ranges from 83-88 (due to my herpstat).
The bottoms of all of them have started to dent, and the eggs look like their getting stretch marks??(im not sure how else to explain). Should I be doing anything else? And is this a red eared slider?

Attachments

• 6D5087C3-9AF4-4EAE-9794-A94C0C287452.jpeg
    6D5087C3-9AF4-4EAE-9794-A94C0C287452.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 3

jeff kushner

North of Annapolis
I'm seeing lots of vids today, in lieu of a fencing around the nest they are often fastening a section of fencing directly to the ground about 2' sq. This prevents larger mammals from reaching while still allowing hatchlings to surface and leave.

I would love to hear the prevailing thought from the folks that really know though?

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
In the ground outdoors, I would expect hatching in 56 - 90 days depending upon sun exposure and plant cover in your area of the U.S. Indoors, incubated at 86° I would expect 60 days. So they sound like they should be ready to hatch. Denting usually means too little humdity and the eggs are drying a bit. When I see that I add some water to the box the eggs are in. Is the box a covered box to hold humidity? You do need that to keep the eggs from denting and drying.

Add some water. At this stage you could even lightly spray the eggs a bit.

kennedye11

In the ground outdoors, I would expect hatching in 56 - 90 days depending upon sun exposure and plant cover in your area of the U.S. Indoors, incubated at 86° I would expect 60 days. So they sound like they should be ready to hatch. Denting usually means too little humdity and the eggs are drying a bit. When I see that I add some water to the box the eggs are in. Is the box a covered box to hold humidity? You do need that to keep the eggs from denting and drying.

Add some water. At this stage you could even lightly spray the eggs a bit.
Hello. Thank you guys for taking time out of your day! They were laid in sand/clay, and had about 10 hours of direct sun every day, I live in Texas so it felt like they were eventually going to start cooking. I checked the humidity of the hole, and the temperature before I brought the eggs inside. The box does have a lid on it, and a couple holes in the side. I put them on a thin layer of sphagnum moss about a week ago, and put sphagnum moss over them ( thin layer ). But the denting is still there. However the dents did get a little smaller.
Today I noticed two of the larger eggs look like their peeling?? I’m not sure how to explain it. It looks like the outer layer is coming off, and revealing a more white layer underneath. Is this bad?

kennedye11

I'm seeing lots of vids today, in lieu of a fencing around the nest they are often fastening a section of fencing directly to the ground about 2' sq. This prevents larger mammals from reaching while still allowing hatchlings to surface and leave.

I would love to hear the prevailing thought from the folks that really know though?
hello! I did leave them outside until day 50. Chicken wire over the top of the hole, and a laundry basket over the chicken wire. (With rocks to hold it down).
But we’ve been having major heat waves, the hottest day was about 113. And the sun directly hit the eggs almost all day. The sand/clay she laid them in was drying out faster and faster. (No plant coverage)
I felt to guilty to leave them outside.

zovick

10 Year Member!
hello! I did leave them outside until day 50. Chicken wire over the top of the hole, and a laundry basket over the chicken wire. (With rocks to hold it down).
But we’ve been having major heat waves, the hottest day was about 113. And the sun directly hit the eggs almost all day. The sand/clay she laid them in was drying out faster and faster. (No plant coverage)
It sounds as though your eggs are getting ready to hatch. As Mark said, you could spray them with water from a spray bottle to help eliminate the dents. Another trick I used to use is to just put them on a fairly wet paper towel folded in half. Usually doing this will eliminate the dents in about 24 hours. When moving the eggs, be careful not to change their orientation (IE, keep the top on the top. Don't rotate them at all.)

The eggs which look as though they are "peeling" are very close to hatching. I would recommend also spraying them with water to help them along, especially if they have dents in them.

kennedye11

It sounds as though your eggs are getting ready to hatch. As Mark said, you could spray them with water from a spray bottle to help eliminate the dents. Another trick I used to use is to just put them on a fairly wet paper towel folded in half. Usually doing this will eliminate the dents in about 24 hours. When moving the eggs, be careful not to change their orientation (IE, keep the top on the top. Don't rotate them at all.)

The eggs which look as though they are "peeling" are very close to hatching. I would recommend also spraying them with water to help them along, especially if they have dents in them.
Thank you! I marked the top of all the eggs when I first found them. If I spray them, or use paper towels. Should I remove the sphagnum moss that is over them? Also, how much of a spray are we talking? A couple drops, or like a couple of full mist. I don’t want to make the egg to wet, (I’m not sure if that can cause problems) The eggs that are peeling, are peeling close to the bottom of the egg. The peeling seems to start at the edges of the dent, and work it’s way up. It’s small, but it is noticeable. And I can tell it’s a thinner area. If that makes sense.

zovick

10 Year Member!
Thank you! I marked the top of all the eggs when I first found them. If I spray them, or use paper towels. Should I remove the sphagnum moss that is over them? Also, how much of a spray are we talking? A couple drops, or like a couple of full mist. I don’t want to make the egg to wet, (I’m not sure if that can cause problems) The eggs that are peeling, are peeling close to the bottom of the egg. The peeling seems to start at the edges of the dent, and work it’s way up. It’s small, but it is noticeable. And I can tell it’s a thinner area. If that makes sense.
I would spray them with a couple or three of full blast sprays of mist from a spray bottle. It won't matter if you get the eggs pretty wet when they are this close to hatching. The dents are an indication that the eggs are too dry. You can leave the sphagnum moss over them or replace it with a second fairly damp paper towel.

kennedye11

I would spray them with a couple or three of full blast sprays of mist from a spray bottle. It won't matter if you get the eggs pretty wet when they are this close to hatching. The dents are an indication that the eggs are too dry. You can leave the sphagnum moss over them or replace it with a second fairly damp paper towel.
Thank you! You guys have been a lot of help. Should I put damp paper towels under them and over them? Or just under? Also if peeling is a good sign, should I be expecting pips within the next couple of days? Or should I be waiting? I didn’t know if there were any definite signs that they would hatch soon, or if it was more of a waiting game.

zovick

10 Year Member!
Can you post a photo of the eggs, especially the ones peeling near the dented areas?

Are you still seeing movement in the eggs when you candle them?

zovick

10 Year Member!
Thank you! You guys have been a lot of help. Should I put damp paper towels under them and over them? Or just under? Also if peeling is a good sign, should I be expecting pips within the next couple of days? Or should I be waiting? I didn’t know if there were any definite signs that they would hatch soon, or if it was more of a waiting game.
I would put the fairly wet paper towels both under the eggs and over the eggs, personally. The dents are indicating the eggs are drying too much as I mentioned earlier.

The sphagnum moss is probably not necessary at this point.

kennedye11

Can you post a photo of the eggs, especially the ones peeling near the dented areas?

Are you still seeing movement in the eggs when you candle them?
I can see movement! I’ve been candling from the ends so I wouldn’t be disturbing them to much. There are moments where I don’t see any movement. Especially if I check in the morning. But if I check in the afternoon/evening there’s a lot of movement (I know not to check to much). Here’s a pic of the peeling. I will take the moss out, and use paper towels instead.

Attachments

• 22AE5C6E-2DF1-4D25-99C0-FB74AD3894B6.jpeg
    22AE5C6E-2DF1-4D25-99C0-FB74AD3894B6.jpeg
    196.4 KB · Views: 3

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
I can see movement! I’ve been candling from the ends so I wouldn’t be disturbing them to much. There are moments where I don’t see any movement. Especially if I check in the morning. But if I check in the afternoon/evening there’s a lot of movement (I know not to check to much). Here’s a pic of the peeling. I will take the moss out, and use paper towels instead.
Those eggs look good. The peeling you are seeing is normal as the thin layer of calcium on the outside of the egg is being absorbed and used by the baby inside. This normally happens most at the bottom of the egg in contact with the soil, especially a slightly acidic soil that helps the chelation of the calcium. Tortoise eggs have a much thicker calcium layer making their shells very hard. Aquatics have a "soft" shell, but still a calcium layer. That is also what creates the banding people look for as an early sign of a fertile egg.

I would expect pipping any time now.

kennedye11

Those eggs look good. The peeling you are seeing is normal as the thin layer of calcium on the outside of the egg is being absorbed and used by the baby inside. This normally happens most at the bottom of the egg in contact with the soil, especially a slightly acidic soil that helps the chelation of the calcium. Tortoise eggs have a much thicker calcium layer making their shells very hard. Aquatics have a "soft" shell, but still a calcium layer. That is also what creates the banding people look for as an early sign of a fertile egg.

I would expect pipping any time now.
Okay! That’s great news! I’ll make sure to keep everyone updated, and post pics. The eggs are pretty solid now, hard to see inside. I’ve also noticed a weight change? They feel a bit heavier. Or maybe that’s in my head lol

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Okay! That’s great news! I’ll make sure to keep everyone updated, and post pics. The eggs are pretty solid now, hard to see inside. I’ve also noticed a weight change? They feel a bit heavier. Or maybe that’s in my head lol
They should have absorbed some of that water! The last few days the baby grows to where it is just a big dark mass in the egg and when you candle, you just see dark. The baby is taking up almost the whole egg.

kennedye11

They should have absorbed some of that water! The last few days the baby grows to where it is just a big dark mass in the egg and when you candle, you just see dark. The baby is taking up almost the whole egg.
Thank you so much! You’ve reassured me so much. I was so scared I would do more harm than good. I can barely see through the egg, when I candle from the bottom of the egg. If I candle from the end of the egg I can see a lot more.

kennedye11

Hello you guys, I hope you all see this! I got my first pip today! This morning! I can see him nudging the egg! I was wondering if there was anything I should be looking out for (complications, or anything along those lines) that I could prevent or at least try to prevent. I added a picture of the pip for you guys!

Attachments

• 4A0BE5A5-2DB9-42D7-97CB-8E4892D44EFC.jpeg
    4A0BE5A5-2DB9-42D7-97CB-8E4892D44EFC.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 2

kennedye11

I also have some questions about a tank set up. When they come out of the egg completely, do I just set them in a clean moist area with paper towels? Do they need heat tape, lamps? Water bowls? I know they won’t do much while their still absorbing their yolk. But I’m not sure the environment they need while they are absorbing their yolk.