Shelly

Megatron's Mom

Location (City and/or State)
North Little Rock, Arkansas
It doesn't really matter if you seen Shelly scratching the eye outside too. If the eye is irritated it will happen anywhere. Until it is fully healed and no longer itchy, scratching it indoors or outdoors will not pinpoint to anything. Since Shelly is indoor more than out. My best guess would be the substrate, until the eye is healed Shelly will continue to scratch at it. It is going to take weeks if not months for the scratching to stop. Change out the substrate and give the eye time.

jharrris

Greenville
It doesn't really matter if you seen Shelly scratching the eye outside too. If the eye is irritated it will happen anywhere. Until it is fully healed and no longer itchy, scratching it indoors or outdoors will not pinpoint to anything. Since Shelly is indoor more than out. My best guess would be the substrate, until the eye is healed Shelly will continue to scratch at it. It is going to take weeks if not months for the scratching to stop. Change out the substrate and give the eye time.
Will do!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I use the same substrate in the outdoor enclosure. But I've also had him in the yard and whatnot and seen it happen. Although, something like the substrate getting in his eyes could cause the irritation which persists regardless of where he is
Are you seeing it get irritated outside or she keeps scratching at it?
Has it ever healed?
If it has never healed and she's scratching at it, then that's expected everywhere.
But if it has healed and then you have seen it start up again, that's what you need to figure out, where is she that it's starting up again.
If the substrate is the only thing that is both inside and out then yes, start there.
But she will scratch at it until it's healed even after you remove the substrate so expect it for a while.