Should I be feeding Mazuri???

Status
Not open for further replies.

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Washington
I actually don't like that it has D3 and the vitamins in it, so I feed it very sparingly as a treat and to have my tort like it so in case of an emergency I have food to give him. I also feed a bit of Grassland Tortoise Food, which I think has some better ingredients (more hay-like) although not as well-liked by torts. I think small amounts of almost anything are fine. I would not recommend it be used very much, especially due to the addicting factor and it is much higher calorie than greens, and indoor captive torts have enough of a problem with weight due to inactivity and diet. Grassland and Mazuri are the only commercial diets I've seen that I would even consider feeding.

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
Seiryu said:
Here are my "Mazuri Grass Ball" pictures.

I pull about 20-25 pieces of grass, these being about 5" long.
GrassChop1.jpg

I then cut it into pieces about 1/4"
GrassChop3.jpg

I soak the Mazuri in warm water and moosh it up so there aren't any big clumps of Mazuri in one spot. I then mix up the chopped grass and Mazuri and male a ball out of it.

And here is what it looks like. There is usually some grass remnants left, mainly because they are small pieces and stay flat to the ground (hard for him to get at). That's why I give more than he will normally eat.
MazuriGrassBall1.jpg

And a blurry picture. My camera is terrible lol.
MazuriGrassBall2.jpg

It's a good way to get grass into a tortoises diet that needs it. Or at least it works for me :p

I've been doing a similar thing, but w/ sow thistle, collard greens and radish tops, all chopped and mixed w/ soaked Mazuri and dusted w/ powdered calcium, then frozen over night...of course, this mess is completely thawed before I offer it...seems to be going over much better than straight Mazuri, so far.

cb8f1a1c-3c9f-4d4c-8fd0-a27a9294a310

My daughter's Ornate box turtles. otoh, need no such trickery...even if Jennifer and Ptolemy never develop a taste for Mazuri, the bag Cory sent me will not go to waste! ;)

Missy

5 Year Member
Illinois
tortoisenerd said:
I actually don't like that it has D3 and the vitamins in it, so I feed it very sparingly as a treat and to have my tort like it so in case of an emergency I have food to give him. I also feed a bit of Grassland Tortoise Food, which I think has some better ingredients (more hay-like) although not as well-liked by torts. I think small amounts of almost anything are fine. I would not recommend it be used very much, especially due to the addicting factor and it is much higher calorie than greens, and indoor captive torts have enough of a problem with weight due to inactivity and diet. Grassland and Mazuri are the only commercial diets I've seen that I would even consider feeding.

Thanks, I think I will get some and as you do, give it as a treat. Sounds like a good back-up in the winter.

Terry Allan Hall said:
Seiryu said:

GrassChop1.jpg

GrassChop3.jpg

I soak the Mazuri in warm water and moosh it up so there aren't any big clumps of Mazuri in one spot. I then mix up the chopped grass and Mazuri and male a ball out of it.

And here is what it looks like. There is usually some grass remnants left, mainly because they are small pieces and stay flat to the ground (hard for him to get at). That's why I give more than he will normally eat.
MazuriGrassBall1.jpg

MazuriGrassBall2.jpg

It's a good way to get grass into a tortoises diet that needs it. Or at least it works for me :p

I've been doing a similar thing, but w/ sow thistle, collard greens and radish tops, all chopped and mixed w/ soaked Mazuri and dusted w/ powdered calcium, then frozen over night...of course, this mess is completely thawed before I offer it...seems to be going over much better than straight Mazuri, so far.

My daughter's Ornate box turtles. otoh, need no such trickery...even if Jennifer and Ptolemy never develop a taste for Mazuri, the bag Cory sent me will not go to waste! ;)

Thanks for the pics.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
That little dish is for three juvie box turtles. When they get finished you couldn't tell what was in the dish. I give the same dish to Pio for a treat every now and then, and he won't eat the next day waiting for it again.

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
I get the same joke all the time that my tort eats better than we do, because we feed him organic yet we couldn't afford that. hehe Nice meal!

Missy

5 Year Member
Illinois
Thanks Terry for the pic. I am going to order some when I get back from seeing my kids :)

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
Missy said:
tortoisenerd said:

Thanks, I think I will get some and as you do, give it as a treat. Sounds like a good back-up in the winter.

Terry Allan Hall said:
Seiryu said:

GrassChop1.jpg

GrassChop3.jpg

MazuriGrassBall1.jpg

MazuriGrassBall2.jpg

Thanks for the pics.

No prob...any excuse to show off Jennifer and Ptolemy is a good one! ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.