Sick hermanns

BoyMom×3

Location (City and/or State)
Ashburn,VA
Well I took Olive (Eastern Hermanns) to the vet. I was given a course of antibiotics (Ceftazidime) that I'm to inject every 3 day for a month. She asked about enclosure, foods, heat and light sourse. What I have found to be a bit odd so I'm asking here to get thoughts and opinions. She said to ditch the reptisoil and house her on moist paper towels or paper and that most of her diet should be tortoise pellets. I have her in a wooden box with reptisoil. She has a 100w heat lamp and a uv light (t18 I do believe) that was recommended for her. Temps on the hot side stay at 80 sometimes 85 and the cool side is about 72 never below 70. Humidity is usually 65 to 70. As for what I feed her I was shocked to be told not to. We have aerogardens and grow red romaine, endive, red salad bowl, bibb and arugula. The only thing I get store bought are the dandilion greens because I can't get them to grow in the aerogardens. I've tried. I also sprinkle calcium powder 2 to 3 times a week. So my question do I ditch the reptisoil for paper and the home grown food for the pellets? She's had her first dose there I'm up for the shots but a bit nervous being my first time giving a shot.

Attachments

• 20240215_094333.jpg
    20240215_094333.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 3

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Use orchid bark or fir bark for substrate.
What is the vet treating her for? What did the vet do to diagnose her?
No, do not ditch the greens but you can add the pellets.
I would not go back to that vet
Only need for a plain substrate like paper towels is if she had worms or an open wound that the substrate could get into and then paper towels isn't the best as they could eat it. Plain enclosure floor would be better than paper
Also, your tort is likely not feeling well because you didn't mention a basking area with an incandescent flood bulb that reaches 95-100. They have to bask under those temps to properly digest their food and keep things inside moving properly.
I'm not sure I would continue the injections until we find out what she did to prescribe that and what she is treating it for.

BoyMom×3

Ashburn,VA
Use orchid bark or fir bark for substrate.
What is the vet treating her for? What did the vet do to diagnose her?
No, do not ditch the greens but you can add the pellets.
I would not go back to that vet
Only need for a plain substrate like paper towels is if she had worms or an open wound that the substrate could get into and then paper towels isn't the best as they could eat it. Plain enclosure floor would be better than paper
Also, your tort is likely not feeling well because you didn't mention a basking area with an incandescent flood bulb that reaches 95-100. They have to bask under those temps to properly digest their food and keep things inside moving properly.
I'm not sure I would continue the injections until we find out what she did to prescribe that and what she is treating it for.
It was a certified exotic vet. Since Olive is only 10 weeks she said blood work out out. She said she could try and to a nasal swab but since it the occasional bubble and there wasn't a lot the test wouldn't have enough to be run. So she's given her the diagnosis of a RI and wants us back in 4 weeks after the meds are gone. She acts totally fine except the random bubble and clicking sound from opening her mouth to breathe. She eats, drinks, pees and poops. She comes out in her on but mostly sleep still but iver the last week and been awake more. As for the basking light I'll include what I use and a photo of how it sits can't be more the 12 to 16 inches up once you factor the soil inside. As I said I thought growing all her food hydroponically without the worry of chemicals would be great for them. Our other hermanns is a tank lol. Coming up on 2 years in June and at last weight check hit 1 pound. And he's set up just the same as her.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240215_161458_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    Screenshot_20240215_161458_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    202.1 KB · Views: 2
  • 20240215_161222.jpg
    20240215_161222.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 2
  • 20240215_161213.jpg
    20240215_161213.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 2

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Get rid of the soil and use the orchid or fir bark fine grade.
The food you are feeding is fine. You can add mazuri or other proper pellets but she should not be fed just pellets.
She might be a certified reptile vet but that doesn't mean she knows anything about tortoises.suggesting only pellets food is a stupid answer from a vet.
So does your tortoise have a proper basking temp?The bulb is correct.
For now up the enclosure temp to 85 and do not let it go lower than 80 any place in the enclosure and no lower than 80 at night.
Personally if it were my tortoise, I would not do the injections just yet. I don't think it's an RI. I would up the temps as I have said and give it a week at least and see if the occasional bubble is gone. An RI would be more than occasional.
Sometimes it's just like a cold and a bump up in temps fixes it
See what @Yvonne G thinks.

BoyMom×3

Ashburn,VA
Get rid of the soil and use the orchid or fir bark fine grade.
The food you are feeding is fine. You can add mazuri or other proper pellets but she should not be fed just pellets.
She might be a certified reptile vet but that doesn't mean she knows anything about tortoises.suggesting only pellets food is a stupid answer from a vet.
So does your tortoise have a proper basking temp?The bulb is correct.
For now up the enclosure temp to 85 and do not let it go lower than 80 any place in the enclosure and no lower than 80 at night.
Personally if it were my tortoise, I would not do the injections just yet. I don't think it's an RI. I would up the temps as I have said and give it a week at least and see if the occasional bubble is gone. An RI would be more than occasional.
Sometimes it's just like a cold and a bump up in temps fixes it
See what @Yvonne G thinks.
It been more then just a week and saw an increase in the bubbles that's why I went in. The only difference between our first hermanns and her is we started him off in a smaller enclosure. So I'll be making the switch tomorrow. She's resting now and I don't want to disturb her since she was in the car and got the first shot there.