Sick (MBD)

Jodimsteinberg5

Location (City and/or State)
Knoxville
So I took Dozer to the vet today. They think he has metabolic bone disease. I’m so devastated. I’ve tried so hard. I’ve followed the suggestions on here. I don’t know what else to do. They’re keeping him overnight. He’s so tiny and precious. I hope they can help him. I love him so. They said his prognosis is not good. They didn’t even mention his eyes

EllieMay

5 Year Member
East Texas
So I took Dozer to the vet today. They think he has metabolic bone disease. I’m so devastated. I’ve tried so hard. I’ve followed the suggestions on here. I don’t know what else to do. They’re keeping him overnight. He’s so tiny and precious. I hope they can help him. I love him so. They said his prognosis is not good. They didn’t even mention his eyes

I’m so sorry! Prayers for you and Little one!

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
Where did you get this tortoise? Did you have a uvb light? What kind was it, and how far up was it?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Is it a baby under 50 grams that you've had for a few weeks?

Take a look at this and see if it matches. If yes, there is nothing a vet can do. Its a waste of money.
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/hatchling-failure-syndrome.23493/

If it was a dry started baby (most of them are...) necropsy will reveal kidney damage as the primary COD. The softening plastron is a secondary symptom.

If your baby was kept too dry at the breeders place and the kidneys are damaged, there is nothing you can do to save it. The best tortoise caretaker and vet team in the world can't save them in these cases. All you can do is buy from a better source next time.

Jodimsteinberg5

Knoxville
Is it a baby under 50 grams that you've had for a few weeks?

Take a look at this and see if it matches. If yes, there is nothing a vet can do. Its a waste of money.
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/hatchling-failure-syndrome.23493/

If it was a dry started baby (most of them are...) necropsy will reveal kidney damage as the primary COD. The softening plastron is a secondary symptom.

If your baby was kept too dry at the breeders place and the kidneys are damaged, there is nothing you can do to save it. The best tortoise caretaker and vet team in the world can't save them in these cases. All you can do is buy from a better source next time.

Yes Tom this is exactly what’s happened! Do you have and tortoises for sale that older and more established? Or do you know someone who does? I’d like to buy one from somewhere reputable. The last one I bought from tortoise town

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Yes Tom this is exactly what’s happened! Do you have and tortoises for sale that older and more established? Or do you know someone who does? I’d like to buy one from somewhere reputable. The last one I bought from tortoise town
I recommend:
Austin @Arizona Sulcata
Lance @Lancecham
Mark @Markw84

If anyone knows of anyone else starting babies with daily soaks and warm, humid, mostly indoor conditions, I'll be happy to recommend them too.