Sick Turtle

Status
Not open for further replies.

tmalexander

5 Year Member
Hi, I have a baby red-eared slider. Usually he is really active and he loves eating and chasing my finger, but lately, he has been really sluggish he was tucked into his shell and his eyes took a while to open, he won't eat. I initially thought he was trying to hibernate, but his tank is kept warm, and I have a lamp that is on from 8am to 11pm. Please help.

Also, I had bought him feeder fish, but he is a little slow and couldn't catch any of them. I came home and one was gone, but I think it died and then he ate is (they were in there for two weeks). Would that cause him to get really sick?

andrew71888

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
The Colony Tx
Well how old is this lil fella? And can u put pictures of his tank and his light heater filter.....ect. And exactly how has he been acting up? What is his water tempature? And heat tempeture?

tmalexander

5 Year Member
I've had him for about two months. The temperature of his water is pretty warm, I'd say around 80 degrees. He was fine yesterday, but then today he seems really lethargic and his doesn't want to come off of his floating dock even though his basking light is off. He just (literally about 10 minutes ago) started making a weird noise, it's almost like a burp.

I don't have a very good picture of his entire tank, and no recent picture with his heat lamp, but the lamp is specified for turtles, its right above his floating dock. I have an aqua tech filter for his tank.
16861_1235859929554_1020870030_30616665_3337517_n.jpg

dreadyA

5 Year Member
southern cal.
try only feeding reptomin pellets. They sell them at any pet store. He might have a respitory infection...less protien and more vitamin a.

andrew71888

5 Year Member
The Colony Tx
Do u have a uvb lamp for him? And how big is the tank and how warm or hot is the basking area?

tmalexander

5 Year Member
I feed him those (ReptoMin) too...he just won't eat them right now =(
He has a uva lamp, should he have a uvb? what's the difference? It gets pretty warm, we had to turn it down because it would heat his floating dock too much that he wouldn't want to get on. Should I take him to the vet? I was going to call tomorrow. How much will it cost to get him checked on? (Money's not an issue, I've just never taken an animal to the vet). The tank is a 5 gallon tank. I was going to wait for him to get bigger and then buy a bigger tank

andrew71888

5 Year Member
The Colony Tx
tmalexander said:
I feed him those (ReptoMin) too...he just won't eat them right now =(
He has a uva lamp, should he have a uvb? what's the difference? It gets pretty warm, we had to turn it down because it would heat his floating dock too much that he wouldn't want to get on. Should I take him to the vet? I was going to call tomorrow. How much will it cost to get him checked on? (Money's not an issue, I've just never taken an animal to the vet). The tank is a 5 gallon tank. I was going to wait for him to get bigger and then buy a bigger tank

I am takeing this is ur first turtle? Haha number one thing and most important u must have a 20 gallon long tank or bigger no 5 nor 10 nor 15 gallon tank will do for even one turtle. I know it sounds crazy but its true, the turtle will get way to big. Uvb is requeired for all turtles so its carapace with grow healthy and strong. Along with other bones. Uva is not as important but still needed. How much overheated does that dock get? Even if it does get over heated turn the heat lamp off and keep the uva uvb lamp on at all time (8-12 hours a day) U need to get him a bigger tank pronto. And yes if u feel that this is important please take him to da vet. He sounds like he has respitory infections..and i believe it will be a 50-80 dollar fee for it. Idk i never had to go either mine are always healthy. If u need anymore help PM me so i can get u links to some care sheets that will also help more

tmalexander

5 Year Member
Do you guys have any suggestions on a good water heater? What temp should his water be at?

With the uvb lamp, is the lamp itself different, or just the bulb? Sorry, these probably sound like really stupid question.

dreadyA

5 Year Member
southern cal.
no questions are ever stupid! we ( at least i do) like to.
water temps should be:

72 to 76 degrees for adults
78 to 80 degrees for hatchlings

just the bulb. There are uvb/uva bulbs and there are heating bulbs. you can use an ordinary incandescent light bulb for heat instead of buying an expensive "reptile" heating bulb

here ya go. This should give you some good info.
http://www.austinsturtlepage.com/Care/caresheet-red_ear_slider.htm
If you have anymore detailed questions, let me know.

tmalexander

5 Year Member
I don't have a thermometer, but I'm buying him a heater tonight, and I have an appointment with the vet, so we'll see what's wrong with him. I'm also going to get him a uvb lamp for his tank. I think he's gotten worse too, he's sneezing or coughing lot this morning...and he's still not eating =( I'll let you guys know

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Like Abe says, the water needs to be cooler than the dock. They climb out of the water and sit in the "sun" to warm up, so you want your light to be shining on the dock. Then they jump into the water to cool down. Another good water turtle site is:

http://www.turtlepuddle.org/

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
The tank you have for now is fine, but as he grows you will need a bigger one...as you posted. You can get a little heater, that doesn't cost much for now for that tank. It should stay at 75 degrees for that size baby. If you have a combination light (UVB?UVA) make sure it is at least 12 in. above the basking dock. Keep the water clean. If his eyes are closed, you def. need to take him to a Vet. If he is alert, swimming, and looking good, but just not eating, then he is just slowing down per the season.
http://www.turtlepuddle.org/
As Yvonne said this is an excellent site for information.

Also this one..
http://www.redearslider.com/

andrew71888

5 Year Member
The Colony Tx
I agree water should be mid 80's to low 90's. And yes buy a thermometer fast its the easiest way to find out the exact heat

Any leads on for how hot the basking spot is?

Uvb is diff it is the light to help ur tortoise healthy look at some care pages on the questions u need to be answered. If they dont come back and ask us for more help

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
No, 80's to low 90's is too hot for the water. The basking platform should be 80's to 90's, the water should be 75 or so.

andrew71888

5 Year Member
The Colony Tx
emysemys said:
No, 80's to low 90's is too hot for the water. The basking platform should be 80's to 90's, the water should be 75 or so.

My bad i just gave him the wrong thing i ment the DOCK should be that tempature sorry..

M

Maggie Cummings

Baby turtles are very fragile and everything must be right in order for them to survive. I haven't had any UVB light for my water turtles, they get what they need from their food. A baby slider's water should be in the high 70's. I prefer to feed live food as baby turtles just can't resist anything that's moving. So in your case I would get some red wigglers or crickets or nightcrawlers. Live food will get him eating again. About the feeder fish...if they are goldfish they generally have too much mercury in them so I wouldn't feed them, but I do feed guppies. Most turtles are too slow to catch fish, but they get the fish when they are sleeping...please keep us posted...

Status
Not open for further replies.