Silly, or not?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Honey

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Springfield, MO
Because I've chosen an open table for Sheldon, I've been taking extra steps to ensure humidity for him.

This is a new idea I'm trying out... we all know that moss is great at soaking up and holding water. So I took a mini clay flower pot and holder, saturated a handful of moss, stuck it into the pot, and then saturated the moss in the pot again. I set the pot and the pebbles in the holder, and then watered the moss until the holder was full. I think it will last at least a day before it's dry. ?

I thought I would ask you guys what you thought, and also share the idea if it works.

Thus far, I've had this moss garden wallow set up for about 6 hours.

Mossgarden.jpg

The dish area with the pebbles is big enough for him to climb into if he wanted to, and it's kept warm by his ceramic heat emitter.

Thoughts?

In this picture, it was right after I had misted Sheldon, and also the first time he saw the wallow. I think it startled him. :(

Sheldonandmossceramicreflection.jpg

You can see the reflection of the ceramic heat emitter in the wallow's water... I thought it was kind of cool.

:)

Missy

5 Year Member
Illinois
Sounds like it could work. I use plexi glass to cover 3/4 of mine to keep in heat and humidity.

Honey

5 Year Member
Springfield, MO
Missy - Plexiglass is exactly what we're thinking about adding to Sheldon's table. They cut it for no charge at the hardware store we shop at, too! Do you find that the plexiglass works to keep your Sulcata table's humidity level where it should be?

Missy

5 Year Member
Illinois
Yes it helps a lot and keeps the heat in as well.

tortuga_please

5 Year Member
I'd go with Plexiglass, also possibly coat the bottom of the clay dish with a water tight paint to the water doesn't absorb out through the bottom. Just make sure he doesn't try to eat the paint :-/

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I would be interested in knowing if that small amout of wet moss will bring up the humidity to 80%. I have 2 enclosed tubs with only cut outs for light and a humidifier piped in. The side with the humidifier the MVB, CHE and damp coir gets to 92-96%, the other side, with a very large water dish, damp coir and only one heat source only gets to 62%. He spends most of his time in the 90+ humidity side. Some of the piped in humidifier, does go thru the tunnel that connects both boxes and into the lower humidity side. Please let us know how high the moss keeps your humidity.

Honey

5 Year Member
Springfield, MO
Sure thing, wellington. I'll keep you guys posted - thus far I swear it's helping. It isn't the only humid thing in Sheldon's enclosure, though. I've got moss in other places - and especially his hide. Keeping the moss wet, misting of him and his table with warm water, fresh water, and daily soaks keep Sheldon nice and humid and hydrated.

I'm still wanting to try the plexiglass soon, and next year he'll have a warm mist humidifier.
I'm trying super hard to make sure he's happy and healthy.
:)

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I didn't realize there was more in there than just the one dish I saw. If you find the moss dries out too quickly, I thought so when I was using some of it last year, you could switch it out for the coconut coir and just use it in the same way you are doing the moss. I find the coir doesn't dry as quick. Just a suggestion, incase :D

Honey

5 Year Member
Springfield, MO
I've been wanting to try the coir, but I cannot find it where I live. I've been told that in the spring, our greenhouse shops get it in... and the pet stores don't know when the next order is coming in. Boy when it does!!
:D

mary t

5 Year Member
Lakeland, florida
Mine girl is out side but I use the coir in my sons hermit crab tank.. It's great.. We only have to mist them about once a day. The tank has a mesh lid and tanks to all he ideas on here I have covered the top except for about an inch on one IDE with press and seal wrap.. So maybe if plexiglass is out of budget right now try you could try that since it will seal to the edge of the table.. Just an idea for temporary measures.

Status
Not open for further replies.