Single Tort Best?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bellyboo

5 Year Member
I kind of asked this on my pic I posted, but thought I'd ask here too.

If (very big IF) I were to get a second tort would he/she be alright getting along with my Hermanns? Which tortoises go best with Hermanns? I seem to recall reading that they don't necessarily like being with other tortoises, but I can't find where I saw that. I'm tort sitting for two little guys...a hermanns and a russian...and I'll admit it made me feel kind of bad that Hiccup is alone. Silly, I know! :p

cherylim

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Leyland, UK
Pairs generally aren't a good idea. Physical or mental bullying happens often, and one tortoise may fail to thrive. If you get two, keep a close eye on weights, health and eating habits and be prepared to split them up, and don't aim to mix species.

Additionally, quarantine new tortoises before introducing them to your existing one - they can pass things on, otherwise.

bellyboo

5 Year Member
cherylim said:
Pairs generally aren't a good idea. Physical or mental bullying happens often, and one tortoise may fail to thrive. If you get two, keep a close eye on weights, health and eating habits and be prepared to split them up, and don't aim to mix species.

Additionally, quarantine new tortoises before introducing them to your existing one - they can pass things on, otherwise.

Aw, bullying torts. That's sad! :( Honestly, we probably won't. I love Hiccup to death and am happy with just one. Just wanted to make sure HE was happy alone. I think sometimes us humans tend to want to pair things up. lol!

My hubby and I have farm land that we will be moving too in a few years and then I plan to add a red foot in it's own enclosure. I'd do it now, but we don't really have that much extra space. But someday! :D

Thanks for the reply!!!

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
Torts are happy solitary, but if you have female, another female of the same approximate size will often work (after a quarrantine).

A male/female pair? Only in seperate enclosures, as the male will show his "reproductive glee" CONTINUALLY (which is why I keep a 1M/3F ratio, and hope to add 2 or 3 more females this spring)...by having 3 or more females, his "reproductive glee" will be shared, about, equally.

Two males...CONSTANT battling and very likely death for one.

bellyboo

5 Year Member
Terry Allan Hall said:
Torts are happy solitary, but if you have female, another female of the same approximate size will often work (after a quarrantine).

A male/female pair? Only in seperate enclosures, as the male will show his "reproductive glee" CONTINUALLY (which is why I keep a 1M/3F ratio, and hope to add 2 or 3 more females this spring)...by having 3 or more females, his "reproductive glee" will be shared, about, equally.

Thank you!!! I was very worried about the whole male/female thing if we ever added another. With Hiccup being a whole whopping 1.5" I'm guessing it will be a while before we know if we actually have a he or she. We'll be cautious and just keep the one for now. Maybe some day if we find out out little tortoise is a female we'll add another female, but for now I think we're perfectly happy with one.

Thanks again!

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
bellyboo said:
Terry Allan Hall said:

Thank you!!! I was very worried about the whole male/female thing if we ever added another. With Hiccup being a whole whopping 1.5" I'm guessing it will be a while before we know if we actually have a he or she. We'll be cautious and just keep the one for now. Maybe some day if we find out out little tortoise is a female we'll add another female, but for now I think we're perfectly happy with one.

Thanks again!

Wise plan! :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.