Skin blocking Hermy's nose

Status
Not open for further replies.

Isa

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Montreal, QC, Canada
Hello Everyone,
There is some skin that is blocking Hermy's nose, is there something I can do?
Here is some pics

DSCN0980.jpg

DSCN0981.jpg

DSCN0982.jpg

Thanks in advance :D

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Yes. Take a very fine-pointed tweezers and just pick the skin off. It should come off with no problem, but if it seems to be stuck, then clip it off with the scissors.

Annieski

5 Year Member
Edison, N.J.
Isa-- Hermy doesn't seem to be breathing through his mouth[at least not in the pic's]. Perhaps during one of his soaks you could get some water near the nose to soften whatever that is and maybe it will come off by itself. Mortimer lets me do his face and chin with a paper towel but I have to be VERY patient.

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
The problem is Hermy's nostrils are so small, and on the left one, the skin blocks the nostrils completely, how can I remove it without entering in his nostril?

Annieski said:
Isa-- Hermy doesn't seem to be breathing through his mouth[at least not in the pic's]. Perhaps during one of his soaks you could get some water near the nose to soften whatever that is and maybe it will come off by itself. Mortimer lets me do his face and chin with a paper towel but I have to be VERY patient.

Thanks for the idea, but I already tried and it did not work :(

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
You're not going to hurt him. You can take a toothpick and pick at it to bring it out of the nostril, then grab it with the tweezers.

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
emysemys said:
You're not going to hurt him. You can take a toothpick and pick at it to bring it out of the nostril, then grab it with the tweezers.

That is what I will do :) Thanks Yvonne!

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
Did you do it Isa? Is Hermy o.k. now? Yvonne what it that extra skin and why is it there?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I doubt we'll ever know what it really is, but my guess would be either flaking skin (unusual for that area) or some food stuck on his nose.

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
Candy said:
Did you do it Isa? Is Hermy o.k. now? Yvonne what it that extra skin and why is it there?

I tried this morning and it did not work, he was super stressed and he was breathing super hard, so I put him in his food dish :( He was moving his head like crazy and I did not want to risk it and hurt him. I will try again in a hour or 2. Thanks for asking Candy :)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Sometimes I'll use a wet Q-tip and a rolling motion for this sort of thing. I always do a nice warm soak to loosen things up first.

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
It is so hard to do it yourself the first time Isa. Sometimes I wish Yvonne or Danny lived closer just in case. :D :p

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
Thanks for the tip Tim, I will try that too but I do not think it will work :(. Candy you are so right, I would just have to take an appointment and bring them cutie Hermy. I tried again and it still did not work, I can't enter the Q-tip in his nostril he is moving too much :( and he looked so stressed the poor thing, he even told me he would go live with his grand parents (he loves my parents, they always want to hand feed him everytime they see him :D and everytime they go to the fruit market they buy him cactus pear or raddichio :D).

M

Maggie Cummings

Can't you have someone else grab his head and hold onto it so you can operate on his nostrils? Some should grab his head right behind his jaw and hold his head still giving you the opportunity to pick at his nostril. I believe it's a 2 people job. One to hold and one to pick...

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
And don't worry about hurting him. If you take him to the vet, that's what he's going to do (what Maggie said about holding the head). Its cheaper for you to do it, and its a good learning experience for you. He'll forgive you when its all overwith and he'll be breathing better.

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Colorado
Geez, I agree that sounds very traumatic for you, Isa! :(

I think it's a lot harder to do when you love the critter and know that he trusts you not to hurt him! I was very freaked out about having to give Taco some Panacure a few days ago, because we had to hold her head and force her mouth open to get the medicine in, but my son and I followed Maggie's advice and did it just like she said, and it was over with quickly and successfully! :p

Yvonne and Maggie have the experienced hands that keep them calm and confident when they do these things, but us squirrely-types have to gather up our courage first! :rolleyes:

Ask your fiance to help you and I'll bet the two of you can get the job done so handsome Hermy can breathe freely again. ;)

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
Oh Isa your parents sound so nice. Grandparents to your tortoise that's love for you. I used to love it when my mom would go shopping and call me and tell me all excited that she had bought something for one of my dogs. She loved doing that and my dogs loved it too. :) I don't have her anymore or I know she'd be just like your parents, buying things for Dale and Ruby and Eddie and Fernando. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.